How do u use a torque wrench?

• Sponsors (?)

txstang84 said:
they are the increments in ft-lbs, or NM (newton meters for people who care) you should have a scale going up the tool directly above the handle, and probably in 10's, since you said the handle is 0-9. say for example you want 65 ft-lbs, twist the handle up until you get to "5" on the handle just above the "60" on the stem of the torque wrench...

make sense? when it "clicks", that means you've acheived your preset torq value.

Also, when not in use, be sure to store it on it's lowest setting-NOT BELOW. If your lowest setting is 20, set it at 20, if it's 10 set it at 10...this helps keep the spring inside from being stretched over time and giving false readings.

What he said!

Okay, now I'm grasping that the formula I gave was not for perpendicular extension use. I can easily accept that I'm wrong. Mine did not show a diagram ... and I was simply going by the "wording" with it (which should really be more specific). Thanks for clearing that up guys.

However ... I still believe using a perpendicular extension CAN affect you torque spec (not much, though). After searching a little on this ... I've seen others say the same thing. Maybe a short extension doesn't affect it too much .... but really long one's can. When they twist, it throws it off a little.