How do you guys shift...

Bmfhp

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2000
Florida
When you are at the track? i just went weds and got massive wheel spin on the 1-2 and even the 2-3 sometimes. I am just wondering what I am missing? I never remembered having this many problems shifting and hooking.

• Sponsors (?)

Let me clarify this somewhat. I ran 15 times, I tried shifting at 5700, 5500, 5400, 5200, 4800, and 6000 rpm. I used aprox the same shift point each shift on a single run. I am baffled by the lack of traction. Are their some tires that grip better than others? (other than DR and MT's)

Some tracks don't prep very well for street events and it's not uncommon early in the year to not have a nice layer of rubber down from the big boys. If you're spinning that hard then change your shift rpm down a couple hundred rpm. Yes you'll be making a tad less power at that rpm but you're better off to put 20hp less to the track and not spin than to rev it higher and spin more(raising your et).

My top 3 sixty footers averaged 2.260. I tried lower the rpm all the way down to 4800 but still spun 1-2. What are some good streets to run. There was a guy with a bottled LS1 bird running streets. He was turning mid twelves in the 110 range but kinda a dick when I asked him about his tires. they were michilens I think.

Woops the 4800 was my shift rpm. I did not try an idle launch the lowest I tried was 2000 on the launch. Have you had luck with idle/near idle? An exindust how are the bfg's for grip?

just try launching at different points. You'll find the right point eventually. But a 6000 rpm launch on street tires seems way high. When my car was bone stock, I would launch around 2200 rpm's.

What tires are your running BMFHP? A stock GT should MAYBE BARELY shirp the 1-2 shift, and get 0 from the 2-3rd.

How about on the street? WOT 1st-2nd should get a hair of spin, and a little chirp out of 3rd....how does yours compare? This will narrow down if its the track or tires.

hotmustang331, I can lay down a good amount of rubber on the 1-2 and it kicks from side to side. the 2-3 shift is a bit better but I have had quite a few times where it turned on the traction control and you would feel it (on the 2-3 shift). This part of the reason why I want to know if it's me shifting or if it's the tires.

I dunno on the street when I slam 2nd going from 1-2 it just chirps and im on my way....but as soon as I get to the track I hit 2nd and the car goes sideways making me lose time....I think its crappy prep at the track if you ask me....**** last time I went to the track I killed 1st gear being all excited and still ran a 15.30 at 101 go figure:bang:

MUST be the tires...I mean im sure you can drive with the best of them, but im not sure if that would cause your traction problems. I know mine wouldnt spin really at all when stock...BUT after a few mods (E water pump and O/R X pipe) I was able to lay down 190FT of rubber in 2nd gear alone lol. SO if your car is 100% stock, then you have a very strong runner on your hands :nice: .

A. buy some BFG KDs (245s) for the rear.
B. buy some 17X10.5s & 315 rears (should KILL any traction issues)
c. Buy some 245 Nitto DRs for your stock rims....this will help ALOT too. I know a guy with a 420RWHP LS1 M6 camaro that runs that size.....hooks VERY well on the street.

I spin 1-2-3-4 and sometimes 4-5 :D Heh, but stock-ish i could bark 2-3 shift if I shifted near peak torque.

What is your suspension setup also? Proper suspension + good tires will improve your first 2 gears. Let the clutch out and launch right when the last yellow light illuminates - it'll help your reaction time which should lower your 60'ft... Don't worry about redlighting in a street car.

these BFG's grip like mad tyte on the street i got 410's and have no problem with grip on the street ... from what i have heard any street tire will be dissapointing at the track... track is a totally different animal than the street

I have a **** load of trouble with 1st only. Given I dont have the best tires, but, I launch around 2000-2400, and spin like hell. Sometimes I just dont even bother and let her rip at 5k, seems to make no difference. My car's mostly stock. The CIA does nothing, as we all know, on a 2V, and I have just the magnapac catback. It is kinda cool in a way tho, cause, when I launch, next to an import, like alot of my friends, and, for just a few moments we're neck and neck, and then out of nowhere I just pull 3 cars instantly, so, it's fun and cool in that sense, but, i'd really like to get some traction. And I dont plan on doing much performance mods. A little suspension, the bassani X-pipe, and a few misc others. Simple as this, i'm gonna grab a set of 03+ Cobra wheels, with some nice big radials, and be done with it. I need to hook up, it's all it takes to get most others, stockers that is. And most especially the noobs with the vettes around here. I actually beat a C5 with my stang the first week I had it, bad traction and all, some ppl just cant drive, and i'm thankfull, because I cant hook in first for the life of me, not to mention, as I have'nt, when I hit second i'm a little all over the place, but no spin I dont think, maybe just a little. But I still have the stock shifter, i'm not gonna go breaking my tranny just yet, when I get a good shifter, then I'll really find out how bad my traction is when shifting.

:SNSign:

I ran nearly exact times with GS-D3's and my MT ET Street Radials! Prolly alot of that comes from the fact that I bogged down my first two runs, and my best launch was only a 1.6 60'ft with a best run of 13.0 vs 13.1 on street tires.