How do you know when shocks need to be changed?

Other than the obvious when do you change them? I have a friend with a 99 Tacoma 4X4 that is his daily driver but sees rough farm land a lot. It has 90,000 miles on it and it doesn't have any suspension problems. Last time he got the tires rotated they recommended front shocks. Does he need to change them if he doess't have any problems? The stock shocks are Bilsteins and are $300 for all 4, uninstalled. Is it normal to only need fronts and not backs? 90,000 seems like a lot of miles for shocks but he doesn't want to spend $300 if he doesn't need to.

• Sponsors (?)

Do the bounce test and then look for oil leaks.
If no leaks are found test run it for about 15 min. on a back road then get out and feel the shock. if it is worm then its working fine, if its cold then its shot

Did a brake job on the truck today and one shock is dirty and the other clean so the tire shop probably just assumed its leaking, which it probably is. After bouncing it I see no visible leaks and each side has equal pressure it feels like.

Assuming you are reasonably large and healthy...get the car bouncing by pushing hard on a corner. Rock it up and down a few times until it is getting some serious movement then stop, it should bounce once then stop. If it continues bouncing more than one full "up-down" then that corner needs replacing. A performance shock will not even give a full cycle without help.

yeah, I have always used a seat of the pants feel for shocks. Go over a speed "hump" (not a bump). If it does more than a single up down travel then you are getting there. If it goes up-down-settle then you are good.