how do you remove the uca bushings?

Torinalth

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Clayton NC
I've been working on the UCa bushings for about an hour now and finally stoppd to ask advice. i do not have a bushing press to remove them, and the EvM one i got seems only good to install their solid bushings... with my PHB its hard to get to the bushings, but i can to some extent... i cant seem to pry them out, and cant hammer them out from the back (not enough room to get the hammers momentum) i di not have a torch, so i cant fry them and whack away....

any thoughts? hosed them with PB blaster and letting them sit again... going to try and use my old tire iron to pry them out, but not sure it will work. anyone have thoughts?

Torinalth

• Sponsors (?)

use a sawzall (you are better off removing the axle so you can have more space to work on them though) and cut the bushing tube away right before axle housing is on each side, if i was on my pc i have pics of how to do it but it's hard to explain, but you can pry them out easier

any other thoughts on getting them out? working with a chisel and a hammer for a while now, no good.. have the axle down on the ground... more access, but i dont see cutting them making a difference... that will then give me NO area to beat on to try and get them out... i just cant figure it out... anyone else removed them before?

Torinalth

Actually, we came up with a puller set up that gets them out in a few minutes....actually it more of a pusher set up. We used something that looked like a pitman arm puller and put a gynormous socket on the end of it and popped them right out with the help of some silicon spray. The air chisel works too but it takes forever and a day.