How does a dry shot work?

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
I'm looking to buy a used NOS 05115 kit from a local guy here for about $200. He says it's a dry kit. I'm courious though, how does the engine get the extra fuel, or how does the engine controller know to give it more fuel? This will be going on my current setup after I intall a 65MM TB and EGR.

Thanks,
L.D.

I believe the Dry Shot shoots nitrous through the intake trac like the TB. I'm assuming you'd need at least an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. And retard the timing to like 8*BTDC. I can't tell ya anymore I've never delt with nitrous just goin by what I've learned about it.

That's what he said. That it sprays through the TB. I already have the AFPR and 24lb injectors. I figure I get some more milage on the car and I should be good to spray it...

With the 05115 kit, there is a fuel pressure sensor that you will thread into your schreader valve. While the nitrous is spraying the sensor watches your fuel pressure and if the pressure drops it will shut off the nitrous flow.
Its a good kit, and works well. I had it on my old 306 and ran it with no problems at all.

Heres the link to NOS website where it gives you a comparison on wet vs. dry systems..
NOS link

the Dry kit has an attachment that goes to the pressure regulator vacuum port. When you spray, some of the pressure from the nitrous solinoid is forced against the diaphram, causing fuel pressure to increase and push more fuel past the injectors

A MSD Digital 6 plus would be a very good upgrade to consider,

First it will make sure you get the best spark possible, it has a programable rev limiter(no chips) and an adjustable(small screw driver) timing retard for use with nitrous. You can drive around with max timing for the best possible power, and when you hit the bottle, the MSD will pull the timing out to avoid detonation. Usually 2-3 degrees per 50 horsepower increase.

It also comes with rubber shock mounts and an ignition start retard to take the strain off your starter when your timing is advanced

I was planning on buying a TweeCer R/T before I installed it. That way I could have two settings, one for N/A, and one for the bottle. I'm kinda worried about my shortblock holding up without a main cap girdle.

L.D.

I have this ignition box and its a great box.
One thing though, even with your timing advanced you most likely will not use the ignition start retard feature. Im using it, but I have my distributor locked out, so theres zero timing advance, which makes it start very hard without the feature.

I would still use the MSD Digital 6

The TweeCer does not increase ignition output, it just allows you to change the factory tune-up
With the MSD there is no switching programs, once it is wired to your N2O trigger switch the MSD does the rest. You never have to worry about switching programs, its always ready to go.
Msd 280.00 TweeCer R/T 550.00
As far as how your motor will handle it, depends on the condition of your motor, I regularly sprayed my stock longblock with a 150shot, and never broke anything. that was with a plate style cheater