LESS THAN 9.5 MPG CITY DRIVING!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you have the mechanicals covered then. Have you actually tried to pull codes? Just because the CEL isn’t lit or flashed doesn’t mean there are no codes. If you have not then try with the engine not running and then with it running. If you have then test the O2’s before you just throw more money at the problem. Have you checked the upper and lower intakes for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and the engine running?

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you have the mechanicals covered then. Have you actually tried to pull codes? Just because the CEL isn’t lit or flashed doesn’t mean there are no codes. If you have not then try with the engine not running and then with it running. If you have then test the O2’s before you just throw more money at the problem. Have you checked the upper and lower intakes for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and the engine running?
Thank you,
I scanned the ECU both KOEO and KOER and no error codes are present, just gave me code 11 so it passed.
My CHECK ENGINE is flashing but it is due to a damaged clock spring and of course that’s not related and has nothing to do with high fuel consumption (As far as I know)
I will replace the O2 sensors just to remove them from the equation.
I rain a few vacuum tests including spraying carb cleaner on all the mating gaskets and it comes negative all the time. As you noted I did very much everything and the condition persists, the only thing left is to replace the O2 sensors and the MAF sensor I have F2VF-12B579-AA with F2VF-12B579-A2A and see if that helps too.

Check engine is flashing? Or the airbag light?

When it’s warmed up, does it seem to have trouble hot starting? Stumbles a bit on start? Or does it fire up fine each time?

Check engine is flashing? Or the airbag light?

When it’s warmed up, does it seem to have trouble hot starting? Stumbles a bit on start? Or does it fire up fine each time?
Sorry , yes the airbag light flashes NOT the Check Engine.

Cold start as well as warmed up it starts right up.

It would turn a few times before, but since I took off the injectors to be cleaned it fires up as soon as I turn the key to start.

Maybe I missed it, but what is the year of the car?
Stock harness in the car?
Something is not adding up, like a piece of important information is missing.
How exactly are you computing fuel mileage? Using the same pump every time?
And you are running 87 octane right?
Not driving around on E85 or something...

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but what is the year of the car?
Stock harness in the car?
Something is not adding up, like a piece of important information is missing.
How exactly are you computing fuel mileage? Using the same pump every time?
And you are running 87 octane right?
Not driving around on E85 or something...
Thank you,
It is a ‘90 GT and yes all the harnesses are stock.
And yes I’ve reviews everything and have the same feeling that there is something unusual.
To check my miles I used both methods filled up my tank at slow speed, wrote my miles and spent about half tank. Cama back to the same pump and filled it up at slow speed and took the actual mileage and made the calculation. Also I used the speedometer and the result was very close, within a quart of a mile. And yes 87 octane, no E85.

With the 15 degrees base you should be running 93 not 87

If you keep it around 10-12ish maybe but even still I’d run better fuel

Reactions: 1 users
You should use up as much of the fuel as possible, I check three or more tanks, JMO
Thank you,
Yes I agree, the only thing is that I will be that I’m making changes in between fill ups which I don’t care if I see improvements.
Just to mentioned some changes I already made:
* Replaced the ACT Sensor
* Dropped the ignition timing from 15* to the stock 10*
* And I know I will have my ass kicked for this but any how,
I verified my O2 sensors have no brand markings. Well I had two Bosch sensors and just for the sake of it I cleaned them by soaking them in thinner () for about twenty minutes then I red glowing them with my torch for like three minutes. Let’em cool and installed them before about 45 minutes of battery disconnected.
Started it up and felt a noticeable difference in performance.
I have to mentioned that those O2 sensors I cleaned gave me an error code in the past, well right now they’re working fine! Just wanted to prove or disprove the cleaning process I’d red a few times.
I will replace them, just was playing with these old ones.
Any thoughts on this crazy actions?

Thank you,
Yes I agree, the only thing is that I will be that I’m making changes in between fill ups which I don’t care if I see improvements.
Just to mentioned some changes I already made:
* Replaced the ACT Sensor
* Dropped the ignition timing from 15* to the stock 10*
* And I know I will have my ass kicked for this but any how,
I verified my O2 sensors have no brand markings. Well I had two Bosch sensors and just for the sake of it I cleaned them by soaking them in thinner () for about twenty minutes then I red glowing them with my torch for like three minutes. Let’em cool and installed them before about 45 minutes of battery disconnected.
Started it up and felt a noticeable difference in performance.
I have to mentioned that those O2 sensors I cleaned gave me an error code in the past, well right now they’re working fine! Just wanted to prove or disprove the cleaning process I’d red a few times.
I will replace them, just was playing with these old ones.
Any thoughts on this crazy actions?
I’d replace of course but it’s free diag so for that sake no harm no foul. If you notice a difference put new Bosch 02s in

Put the timing back to 15 and put 93 in it

With the 15 degrees base you should be running 93 not 87

If you keep it around 10-12ish maybe but even still I’d run better fuel
Thank you,
Well I’ve been running like that with no pinging at all and good power.
I’ll go 12* max once I clear this high fuel consumption
I’d replace of course but it’s free diag so for that sake no harm no foul. If you notice a difference put new Bosch 02s in

Put the timing back to 15 and put 93 in it
Thank you
Yes I agree.
I’ll do as you suggested

Hello everyone

I was just wondering if any of you have any ideas about this ridiculously low MPG. ONLY less than 9.5 Miles to the gallon city driving.
I've seen many postings with much more modified engines giving much better mileage.
I was just running a small MPG study being conservative on my driving. shifting at around 2 - 2.5K
I don't consider my build radical by any means and the mileage should be much better than that.
I ran a scan and no error codes whatsoever. I've never tuned the engine but even like that shouldn't give me that bad of a mileage

My engine details are:
Production 302 block 0.030" overbored (306ci) w/ Flat top pistons
170cc twisted wedge heads with 61cc chambers,1 5/8" BBK headers,1.6 magnum rollers, and TFS stage 1 cam
65mm Throttle body and 70mm MAF tube and sensor with 19 lbs injectors, and 190 LPG fuel pump + Kirban FPR (39 psi / Vac. 0ff)
TFS upper and lower intakes and 3/8 phenolic spacer.
In fender high flow air filter,
Autolite plugs 2924 to 0.054''
MSD blaster coil and wires
Initial timing set to about 15 degrees.
UD pulleys, Griffin radiator, electric cooling fan w/Delta controller, and 200 AMP alternator
T5 Z specs transmission, 3.55:1 gears and 31 spline TruTrac differential/Mosser axles, and 245 45 17 tires all around
The two secondary converters were removed along with all the smog system. The EGR valve still working correctly

I just want to say that I'm not complaining, just it seems not normal.
.... And no, don't tell to buy a Honda, that is not the point: "THERE SHOULDN'T BE WRONG WANTING TO HAVE A LITTLE PERFORMANCE AND EFFICIENCY AT THE SAME TIME"
Right now my engine IS NOT efficient.

Thank you all for any help provided.
Si let me get this straight, some of you are replying with some very impressive numbers, FoMoCo published some numbers on MPG City/HWY/ and Combined. So with some mods can we get better MPG than the numbers published by Ford?

Attachments

• 2A7C30F2-ACEF-4273-9DF9-67209B20B2B0.png
    2A7C30F2-ACEF-4273-9DF9-67209B20B2B0.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Neat
My carbureted 1989 gt convertible with an E303 camshaft and 3.73 gears got a verified 26mpg on the highway cruising at 72 mph. It got better mileage than almost anything we've owned. So, I'd say, with modifications, you can beat the factory fuel ratings published for our mustangs.

I did not read every line but I take it we're no further along?

I saw some talk of octane rating... With your setup N/A, I'd run 89 non-ethanol straight for two tanks and take accurate measurements.

That aside, it may be time to invest in enough equipment to data-log from a wideband O2 meter.

This approach is going to tell the tail even if the car doesn't want to spill the beans. :O_o: (I know, that was horrible)

Reactions: 1 users