How easy to change motor mounts??

fshawn50

Apr 4, 2007
Houston, TX.
Was looking for some feed back on how easy? or hard? it is to change out motor mounts?? mine are shot an bought new ones. Is this something might be able to do say in the driveway or in your garage?? with like a jack? an jackstands?

Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Very easy to change the motor mounts out after removing the motor from the car (joke but true).

I attempted to do it once in my driveway. I gave up because once the motor and the car was well supported from below, I could not move around arround under the car. If I had it to do over, I would use a fender brace support to hold the motor up (same kind the front wheel drive cars use). Then the area under the car would have been free for me.

Optionally, the motor could be supported by attaching to something strong over head (tree limb, beam, ect).

What ever method is used to support the motor, you will need to ability to adjust the motor during the job. A good selection of sockets, wrenches, stubby wrenches, crows feet, and lots of patience may be handy.

The big bolts on the motor mounts are best accessed after removing the wheels.

The other lesson learned regards the top bolt on the starter. I found it very difficult to remove. Later I learned that a 13MM flex socket and a very long extension will actually make to job doable.

Note, the Chilton's manual calls for the starter to be removed. The Ford service manual does not. You may find it easier to work on the right side with the starter removed. However, removing the starter is a fair amount of work.

IMO, the job is doable for the well motivated slightly above average shade tree mechanic. Some of the areas will be difficult to work in. Take it slow. Get a Chilton's manual.

OBTW, the Ford service manual lists the job as taking 2.1 hours with a skill level B. This puts the job as a Medium.

Good luck.

Aw common girls, I just did BOTH of mine 2 montha ago. They're time consuming more than anything, the driverside is the easiest the pass side u gotta remove the starter. I did it on my back in the drive way, and took 3hrs once I got it on stands.
Posted via Mobile Device

When inspecting visually, don't forget that the motor in a Mustang already sits closer to the passenger side strut tower than the drivers side.

If you've got a bad mount, you may here some clunks from the front of the car when you get on and get off the gas.

You may be able to see the engine jump or dive more than usual to one side with a quick rev with the hood up.

If it's a manual, have an assistant rev the motor up a little and let the clutch out it in gear enough to put some load on the engine (set parking brake and heel-toe the brake so the car doesn't take off unexpectedly!) and watch safely from the side and see if the motor lifts up or dives on one side of when a load is put on it. You can test in an auto by putting it in drive, set parking brakes and keep one foot on the brakes and rev it up a little and again, you'll see the engine lift or dive on one side if you've got a broken mount.