How Loud?

wmwhite9

Oct 21, 2015
On a stock 1989 5.0: Hooker equal length headers, bbk h-pipe, dynomax straight through mufflers, lx tailpipes, and no cats. Anyone with a similar set-up have an idea of how stupid loud this is going to be. Would a chambered muffler instead of a straight through design make a huge difference? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

On a stock 1989 5.0: Hooker equal length headers, bbk h-pipe, dynomax straight through mufflers, lx tailpipes, and no cats. Anyone with a similar set-up have an idea of how stupid loud this is going to be. Would a chambered muffler instead of a straight through design make a huge difference? thanks
Do you care if the car even sounds good? Or is just plain LOUD good to you? My suggestion is stupid loud is just plain stupid and it's a nuisance. Now to sound good you should put a chambered muffler on there and yes people will hear you coming or going but the difference will be people that hear you won't wish your car would explode so they can have some peace. I'm a huge fan of Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers, their the Super 44's. They sound great and their loud but not stupid loud and they didn't drone in my car.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you care if the car even sounds good? Or is just plain LOUD good to you? My suggestion is stupid loud is just plain stupid and it's a nuisance. Now to sound good you should put a chambered muffler on there and yes people will hear you coming or going but the difference will be people that hear you won't wish your car would explode so they can have some peace. I'm a huge fan of Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers, their the Super 44's. They sound great and their loud but not stupid loud and they didn't drone in my car.
Noooo sorry I meant I was afraid of it being stupid loud. I suspect I'll probably need some better chambered mufflers to keep it from being too loud since I have no cats.

Liked my American Thunder with o/r h pipe a lot.
Loved my slp loudmouth with high flow catted h pipe.

Straight pipes and no cats will sound like a$$.

Reactions: 1 user
Just my 2 cents: we ran a similar setup in our 84 convertible except the mufflers. IIRC, we had BBK equal length shorties, BBK 2-1/2" O/R H-pipe to Summit chambered mufflers and turn downs. It was noticeable, but not "stupid" loud. We liked it enough that our newly acquired 87 GT convertible has the same mufflers. It's exhaust system is all stock except the mufflers and is a little quieter, but still sounds good. So my vote is, if you don't like the sound or volume of the straight through design, go with chambered mufflers.

This is my II from a few years ago. It is NOT stock, full length headers, 2-1/2" H-pipe, Thrush chambered mufflers and turn downs. The 84 was quieter than this and the 87 is even quieter. Still noticeable, but fairly quiet compared to my Cobra.

View: https://youtu.be/lgGduu0N3Rw

View: https://youtu.be/oIreFUOfLZw

Last edited:
I have stock headers, bbk o/r h, and supper 44's and love the sound. Loud but a nice muscly loud. Had straight thru mufflers at first with no cats and it is loud but not refined sounds like ass and gives you headaches.

Reactions: 1 users
A chambered muffler will give it a deeper sound. It will also "mellow" it out slightly and quiet it down slightly. The straight throw will have a more "tinny" sound and it will be louder at wot. A chambered muffler like the Flowmaster,Dynomax vt(? I believe that's the designation),borla,magnaflows,etc are a better sounding option IMO. I've always been partial to flowmasters but liked the dynomax muffler pretty well also. The flowmasters are louder.