SN95 How Low Is Too Low?

sn95matt

Jan 27, 2016
Recently changed my stock suspension (coils, shocks, and struts) with tetco shocks and struts. The coils I used came off a bullet mustang they seemed like they were going to drop my car a good bit (seeing that they were a entire coil shorter) but after install come to find out they are just really stiff. I really enjoy the ride quality its nice not too stiff but definitely not bouncing all over the place like stock. I am really looking to go a lot more low but before I start jumping into buying coils that could drop my too low and just ruin my ride quality.

• Sponsors (?)

This is too low.

crush.jpg

I have had the Steeda springs on my car for a long time, which drops the car about 1 and 1/4 inch. That was fine. After installing the tubular K-member it dropped about another 1/2", and it was intollerable. The front end rubbed on everything. Parking lots, speed bumps, getting into my own driveway. My longtubes looked like a beat hooker. I ended up putting spring spacers in to bring the front back up. I would say anything up to an inch and a half is fine. After that, you have to start worrying about everything.

Kurt

Unfortunately, you really can't go much without it being considered "too low".

It's not that these cars are high, they just have huge fenderwell gaps. Lowering the car is an attempt to reduce that gap to make the car look better, but unfortunately you change the suspension angles for the worse.

Bullitt springs are prob one of the better springs you can put on a fox, but don't count on it to lower you. If you want to go lower, remove the spring isolators, or cut off 1/4 to 1/2 a coil

Unfortunately, you really can't go much without it being considered "too low".

It's not that these cars are high, they just have huge fenderwell gaps. Lowering the car is an attempt to reduce that gap to make the car look better, but unfortunately you change the suspension angles for the worse.

Bullitt springs are prob one of the better springs you can put on a fox, but don't count on it to lower you. If you want to go lower, remove the spring isolators, or cut off 1/4 to 1/2 a coil

Well cutting the springs that's just a no no and I have the sn95 not the fox was really contemplating bags but that's just too much money to put in a 20y/o car

Get bigger wheels :shrug: Or check out LMR for lowering springs. There are tons of pictures of peoples rides after they lowered the car along with reviews. Find something you like and buy it. Or go coil overs and adjust the ride height the way you want it.

Well cutting the springs that's just a no no

Cutting progressive rate springs is a no-no. Most mustang springs are.

03/04 Cobras and the 01 bullitt and 03/04 mach 1 use linear rate springs.

Linear rate springs can be cut...slightly. 1/4 turn would equal 0.25" or so in total hieight reduction. Not a significant difference in K-value (spring rate)...especially if you are cutting the dead coil which doesn't do much for the rate. How much is too much? That's the tricky part.

I'm too lazy to look up numbers to calculate it out, but here's the formula for linear rate springs

k = d^4 G / (8 D^3 N)

d = diameter of the wire
G = Bulk Modulus (material property)
D = Diameter of the spring
N = Number of turns
k = spring rate

I believe in stock form, the springs are 600 lb.