How many on here has replaced intake gasket on 4.6 (help me)!

kj99

Founding Member
Sep 2, 1999
Spartanburg SC
How many on here has Installed an intake gasket on 4.6 (help me)!

Ok, I've had 2 compression test done on the car, and nothing failed under the 160psi test. But I'm still getting coolant in all my plug holes on driver side. After the test he (mechanic/ friend) put in new 190 deg thermostat, new o ring, new thermostat housing, all new plugs, and sealant on thermostat housing. The car ran fine yesterday untill this morning. I get to work and check it and There is small amounts of coolant around the THERMOSTAT and inside each of the plug holes. So I cleaned up all the coolant with a vac and dried everything I could. Then checked it 1/2 hr later and noticed that it has very small amounts of coolant right where the intake gasket seats. (all along the whole gasket).on driver side. If its the gasket how easy is it to change. Can I do it in my driveway.. Has anyone changed one before

thanks kevin

• Sponsors (?)

I have when I swapped the stock intake to the Bullit intake. The job is cake.

Pull the intake then swap the gaskets. No gasket maker needed and there are alignment tabs that make sure gaskets go on perfect. Just pulling the stock intake, changing the gaskets and reinstalling it shouldn't take more than a couple hours for something with hand tools and no previous experience doing the job.

It's easy, don't be scared.

I have done many 4.6 intake manifolds. First thing is have you had your intake manifold replaced with the updated version that has the aluminum front coolant runners? Sounds like to me that your intake manifold is leaking and the coolant is just running down the side of the cylinder head and going down into the spark plug holes, I have seen it many times before where the thermostat housing has a small crack. I would personally do a cooling system pressure test with a hand held pump, bring it up to pressure and look for the leak. And yes this is something that you can easily do if you have the tools.

I would definatly listen to the above post..Mine had a small leak to begin with, I did the same as you did with the vacuum and still had anti-freeze in the front two plug chambers on the driver side..I didnt figure out what it was till I pressurized the system and saw it spraying out...I have a generation II lower intake with the aluminum front runner Ill sale to ya if you need one, Ill let it go for cheap....I did a motor swap so i dont need it anymore.