How much clearance do you need between fuel pump eccentric and timing cover?

SpotOn

Feb 6, 2011
I am currently building up my new motor on an engine stand, I have the bottom end together and was starting on the front cover.

I have a new Cloyes Billet Steel Timing Set, I am replacing a early 90's Ford Motor Sport roller timing chain and gear set. The Ford gear set had the one piece eccentric originally that I plan on using on the Cloyes gear. The Cloyes gear is a little thicker so I had to go to with a 1.5" dowel pin up from the 1.375" pin used on the original Motor sport gear and chain.

I currently have about .050 clearance between my one piece fuel pump eccentric and the timing cover.

I have turned the motor over by hand several time and there is no contact.

If my Cam end play is about 0.007 and I assume the aluminum cover will grow a bit when it warms up as well as the timing gear let's say 0.01 total gear + housing expansion, then I should have about 0.050-.007-.01 = .033 stack up clearance.

Does that sound too tight to anyone besides me? In theory, nothing should be moving, but seems too tight.

Has anyone else ever had a tight situation and measured the actual clearance?

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, are you that set on running a mechanical fuel pump? The electric pumps these days are so much better than any mechanical pump i've ever seen and especially the pumps that work in the fox bodies. Just curious behind your reason.

It's just what I have. I bought a new Carter racing mechanical pump to replace my 20 year old Ford Motor sport (Carter) racing mechanical pump.

Just curious what you have against mechanical pumps, other than the eccentric can get close to the front cover :)

As an update, I just put the timing cover on. With the cover gasket and water pump attached, the clearance actually looks pretty good.

I'm positive it won't be an issue. :nice:

I run a mechanical on my 347...simple, super clean install, no electrical gremlins to deal with. I'd say as long as your math is right about cam thrust distance you should be fine. If you're really that worried you could probably get away with grinding a tiny bit off the inside of the cover and it shouldn't hurt anything, the cover is pretty thick.

For me it was just easy...the car is factory carbed, so i just stuck with what was already there. I run a 90gph Holley on mine. I know they say it robs a bit of HP but i seem to have back luck with electrical things on cars so simple works for me.