How much did it cost to get your gears installed?

• Sponsors (?)

ZERO, Do it myself (3x all work fine). Really is made out to be a lot more mysterious than it is. It is time consuming to do it right, but you can buy a extra rear end and work on it without taking your car out of commision, and still it will still be cheaper than the labor you pay someone else. In the end you will have learned a lot.

If you choose to work on the existing axle housing, and you have access to a bearing press it will only cost a few bucks (less than $20) for new pinion bearings (which I would strongly suggest), and thats about it. If you don't have access to a bearing press, have the inner pinion bearing pressed on where you buy the bearing (good Napa shop or simular). They will usualy do it for free or just a couple of bucks at most. BTW, only buy Timkin bearings for this, two reasons: One, they are by far the best. Two, This is waht Ford uses and there are variations in length with other brands, this will effect pinion depth.

First time I did it with a friend to his car, we had a local shop (Randy's Ring and Pinion) to call when we had questions, and even had a tech look at the gear pattern (pictures) for free, he approved of the pattern and sure enough the gears run dead quiet.

If you are installing Ford factory gears it is a slam dunk, no need to measure pinion depth, just measure the shim on the old pinion, and install the same shim amount (or same shim all together) on the new pinion, then all that is left is to set up the backlash and bearing pre-loads. Again this can be made a lot easier with a solid pinion spacer instead of the crush sleave and a old worn pinion nut. Read up on it, Randy's ring and pinion has instruction on thier web site, also several others available out there too.

The money I saved doing the last install was spent on the Eaton Diff.,makes for a great bonus from doing the work youself.

Without a lift I always remove the rear from the car. Easy to do, and makes easy work of the job. Place the rear axle on tall jackstands or short stands on top of a workbench. Even better if place in two vices on the workbench as I do now! (Came with the house I bought this summer :D Wife liked the Kitchen, I could care less, the garage was fully outfitted with work benches, cabinets, pegboards, vices, outlets, drop lights, 220 outlet for air compressor and plumbed air lines) Yeh, sometimes I forget how hard it was working in an apartment parking lot, but if you don't have the tools and place to do the job, thats what friends are for!

Yeh, this might not be the job for everyone to try, but if you do you will really enjoy to feeling of knowing you did it yourself and will learn a lot... now every friend you have with a Mustang will want you to change gears for them!

Good for you, everyone i've talked to says that there is no way you should install your own gears. I think i'm gonna have to save up, I don't really have anywhere to do it and at least i won't have to worry about doing it wrong. If gears are all they're cracked up to be, i don't think i'll be disapointed in my decision.

BTW, what ratio are you installing? They are a really good upgrade, and will feel better than any other bolt. Best to run the highest ratio you can live with, otherwise you will regret not running a higher ratio later. Nothing short of a 3.73 is worth running unless your running a torque monster stroker.

Installing them yourself is really up to you and how much abilty you have do mech. work. If you can rebuild a transmision, you likely can do this easy, if your intimidated by a engine rebuild, than this is out of the question. Even the rear end service shop where I buy my parts encuraged me to try it. Like they said, take your time, it's not that difficult... and if you run into problems they are always there to help or compete the job.

my good friend installed his own gears, having never attempted it before. Ford gears are cut so close, you can install them using the exact same shims and patterns as the old ones. Anyone who is heavily mechanically inclined who is willing to chance messing it up should give it a shot. I would, but it was much easier to install the tbird rear.