How Much HP Should I Really Have On 98 GT?

98GTBlkConv

May 26, 2004
Hey guys. I have only made a few mods to my 1998 GT convertible including FM catbacks and K&N FIPK. Realistically speaking, how much rph should I have? I have never had the car on a dyno, and am wondering what the real amount should be. Also, I am considering an Accufab plenum and throttle body. Should I go with 75 or 70 mm for this sohc? Is it worth doing? I am also serious about buying a Superchips microtuner, and am wondering if I do all of this, will I feel a difference? I have recently done the 3.73's and will stay na for a while. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

96stanggt-vert said:
170-180? How, he has about 190 stock :rolleyes: You might get 7-10 rwhp from the catback and intake so my guess would be about 200 rwhp as you sit.

unless the 96-98's have an extremely restrictive catback, unlike the 99+'s, you aren't going to pick up much, if any power from a cat-back.

96stanggt-vert said:
170-180? How, he has about 190 stock :rolleyes:

I had 190 on the dot with full exhaust (LTs, O/R H, Borla Cat-back), K&N air filter, and Saleen factory tune. so i think 170-180 is pretty accurate.

I also agree with WLD WST, just pay for the dyno run. It usually isnt much just to get a run or two without any tune.

WLD WST, did you get the balancer?

-Mike

gruntman31 said:
People ask me if my stang has had the headswap done. I say no, I don't have PI heads. They laugh at my 15 second turd. Then we run for money and I win. :D

lol.gif
nice!! :nice:

OK, I had my '98 dynoed when it was completely stock except for a K&N. It dynoed at 196 RWHP. I doubt the K&N added anything. Neither will a cat back, no matter what the advertisement said.

98GTBlkConv said:
Also, I am considering an Accufab plenum and throttle body. Should I go with 75 or 70 mm for this sohc? Is it worth doing? I am also serious about buying a Superchips microtuner, and am wondering if I do all of this, will I feel a difference? I have recently done the 3.73's and will stay na for a while. What do you think?

Do the tuner before the the plenum and tb. If you are going for the headswap don't get the tuner, not sure it will work after the swap. Custom chip would probably be better post swap.