How Much Performance Gain From Dyno Tune & Sct Chip?

Codydubb

Nov 3, 2011
Preston, Id
How much more power should i expect to gain from a dyno tune with a custom burned chip? My wife is letting me get a dyno tune with a custom burned chip for my birthday and i was undecided whether i wanted to spend the money on that or spend it somewhere else. My current setup is Edelbrock Performer HCI 24# injectors 70 mm BBK TB 80mm ProM MAF TKO 600 355s on a A9l computer. the dyno tune and chip is going to run around $450 just trying to spend my money wisely

• Sponsors (?)

$450? I got quoted over $600. I'd jump all over that JUST so I could see where my car was at and so I could have printouts. And I know, numbers don't really mean anything. But wouldn't it be nice to shut up the kid trying to race you in his moms Civic when you pull out a printout with dyno verified power readings? :p

Reactions: 1 user
$450? I got quoted over $600. I'd jump all over that JUST so I could see where my car was at and so I could have printouts. And I know, numbers don't really mean anything. But wouldn't it be nice to shut up the kid trying to race you in his moms Civic when you pull out a printout with dyno verified power readings? :p
LOVE this post about the mom's civic;) witness errday.

There it is $150 for the chip, and 350 for the tune, but with being UtahStangs you get $50 off the tune.

Let's try and erase the "how much power will I get from a tune?" question much the same as black people tried to bury the N word a few years back. That would be great.

Smartash comment aside, don't think of the tune as a power-adding mod. Sure, you can definitely gain power, but try to think of it like this -

A company has several employees, all doing a certain task. Without a manager to oversee and manipulate daily activities, the output is inefficient. Stuff will get done, but maybe a few of the employees are underutilized and can handle more work. Maybe some are overworked and are freaking the F out trying to make up for the slackers.

With a manager, each employee can be monitored so they work as efficiently as possible, thus maximizing output of the company in a safe, reliable manner.

Now, Im sure you know that the manager is the tune and employees are the mods to the car. I see a tune as the glue that bonds the whole project together and is imperative to have a safe, reliable car that makes as much power as the combo is capable of. Hope this helps.

And btw - I had my '99 retuned the other day. I went from ~420 whp to a hair over 460 whp just by adjusting the timing and fuel curves. The tuner and myself alike were impressed, to say the least. Money well spent.

Smartash comment aside, don't think of the tune as a power-adding mod. Sure, you can definitely gain power, but try to think of it like this -

A company has several employees, all doing a certain task. Without a manager to oversee and manipulate daily activities, the output is inefficient. Stuff will get done, but maybe a few of the employees are underutilized and can handle more work. Maybe some are overworked and are freaking the F out trying to make up for the slackers.

With a manager, each employee can be monitored so they work as efficiently as possible, thus maximizing output of the company in a safe, reliable manner.

Now, Im sure you know that the manager is the tune and employees are the mods to the car. I see a tune as the glue that bonds the whole project together and is imperative to have a safe, reliable car that makes as much power as the combo is capable of. Hope this helps.

And btw - I had my '99 retuned the other day. I went from ~420 whp to a hair over 460 whp just by adjusting the timing and fuel curves. The tuner and myself alike were impressed, to say the least. Money well spent.

Great analogy, I agree 100%.. I had gained 21 hp and 24ftlb of torque over the stock tune.. With my old setup..my car wasn't even on the dyno for the tuning..all done through datalogs and emails.. The guy that tuned my car lives in Louisiana..

Let's try and erase the "how much power will I get from a tune?" question much the same as black people tried to bury the N word a few years back. That would be great.

Lol awesome! i was more or less wanting to know what kinda gains people got from a tune, i hope i can get as large of a gain as you. What mods are done to your 99?

Lol awesome! i was more or less wanting to know what kinda gains people got from a tune, i hope i can get as large of a gain as you. What mods are done to your 99?
He's running a supercharger. So I doubt you'll see those kinds of results.

Ive got a Vortech V2, injectors, and full exhaust. Stock otherwise with regard to the motor. The PO had a super conservative tune installed to keep from blowing the motor. I say screw that noise, Ill just get another 2V shortblock for $300 and keep the party rolling. :shrug:

With your setup Cody, it's hard to say since we have nothing to gauge how your car runs now. Only the dyno will tell - not the power, but the data. Keep us posted when you do get it tuned. I.E. the timing was X but now it's Y and gained this much power. Same with fuel.