How much power can the stock cooling system take?

forrealb50

May 5, 2003
VA
Right now I'm making 317rwhp. How much power can the stock cooling system take because when I use nitrous the coolant boils now. I turn the car off and it's freaking boiling in the resevoir. I'm guessing its because of the extra heat and power that nitrous makes. Would a flex-a-lite fan and a 3 core radiator fix this?

I got the stock radiator, fan clutch, and cracked to hell fan...

New water pump though...

• Sponsors (?)

I had kinda the same problem, did all my mods a once and the stock cooling system couldn't keep her cool. So i got a FMS alum rad and a black magic flex-a-lite electric fan and it made a big diff, no matter what the temp is outside she stays at 170 and thats with a 165 Thermostat.Remember to much heat = HP loss............keep her cool.

... The cooling system is design for the stock engine.
Adding more fuel and air gives you more heat..
Upgrade with a alu 2row radiator, or a 3 row unit,
a good electric fan/ or a good clutch and spitfire propeller.
New waterpump,and a good thermostat.
Think the stock cooling system handles
225 hp+ 5hp=UPGRADE!!! :) just my.02 GoodLuck!

Even if your putting down 317 hp, it doesn't mean your putting it down all the time, but when you get on it the stock cooling system won't cut it. A good aluminum or 3 row radiator, high volume water pump, and some kind of upgraded fan setup should help you alot.

What is a Spitfire Propeller Fan? Where can I get one?

I recently installed a new Ron Davis Radiator. I am using the stock fan set up with a new Fan Clutch, 180 deg T-stat and an Aluminum Edelbrock hi flow water pump. I havnt driven it in the heat yet to see how good it works.

If you think you are tight on money now, just wait until that cracked fan you mention of falls apart and sends parts of it in the direction of the shroud, radiator, hood, and wherever else it feels like going - then you'll be tight for money.

as long as you have a clean radiator, clean passage ways, good water pump, pressure in the system, good Tstat, and proper coolant/water mix...you should be fine. Larger engines, or high compression motors make a lot of heat and would need a better coolant system. I have a new water pump and new stock replacement 2core radiator on my motor and it cools just fine even when I fly around town. So if you put a 3core rad, and electric fan you should be one 'cool' guy