How Much Should The Shop Charge For This?

acoddo

Jun 20, 2017
So, I ordered a new bumper and some other items for my 1990 GT. painted the front bumper and had issues aligning the splash guard on the new one before remounting. So I dropped my foxbody off to the Ford guy around here and gave him a list of things to install and look at. I'm waiting for a price estimate tomorrow. How much should I expect to be charged for labor for the following tasks:

1. installing splash guard/headlights into the new front bumper and mounting to front of car
2. removing stock clutch fan, installing mishimoto electrical dual fan (supplied the fan and the radiator sensor + wiring)
3. diagnosing +seeing if the non-functional air conditioning is a quick fix (belt intact)
4. checking a bent line just off the subframe connector on the right side where the jack slipped off (possibly a brake line??)

• Sponsors (?)

I agree, the diagnostics for all the stuff will run about four-ish hours.

Here in Tulsa, the flag rate is $50 per hour. So, $200 just to know.

I bet your charged at least 8-10 hours for the fan/radiator swap. Then there's a material cost as well.

The splash guard, maybe one or two hours.

Really, if this guy's your buddy, he may do it all for a couple hundred. If you pay regular rates at a shop, I'd be thinking a grand or more.

1. installing splash guard/headlights into the new front bumper and mounting to front of car
This is nuts and bolts and half an afternoon for you in the driveway.
2. removing stock clutch fan, installing mishimoto electrical dual fan (supplied the fan and the radiator sensor + wiring)
This is a waste of money IMO. Replace the fan clutch and call it a day. The OEM fan offers more CFM, more cooling, and can be used to blow leaves off the driveway in the fall. E fans also require an alternator upgrade.
3. diagnosing +seeing if the non-functional air conditioning is a quick fix (belt intact)
This does require special tools and a trip to the A/C shop. Cost depends on diagnosis.
4. checking a bent line just off the subframe connector on the right side where the jack slipped off (possibly a brake line??)
Purchase a pre-formed line and replace it. Maybe $30?

Reactions: 5 users
Noobz is 100% correct. I think we need a "double like" button for replies like his.
to be more clear, I specifically was having issues mounting my splash guard back to my new bumper. I felt the level of force that I was applying to try and make all of the bolts line up was more that I felt comfortable using. I understand mounting the assembled bumper is an easy task, I had it removed in about an hour.

and about the clutch fan- this is personal preference for me. The stock fan drags a small amount of HP running the clutch fan (arguably a negligible amount, got it) but it takes up a significant amount of space in the engine bay. Since the car had the 130 amp alternator installed when I bought it, there should be no problem running the electrical fan. It looks pretty sleek too.

I will also say that before I purchased this mustang I had extremely limited mechanical experience, so I am learning more every day.

I already had a 3 core radiator and the stock water pump does just fine. The high flow pumps can circulate water to fast, not allowing the radiator to do it's job.

There is no better bang for the buck than an oem fan setup. I grabbed one out of a mark viii moves 2500cfm on low and near 4000cfm on high speed.

My car is far from the norm, if your stock or close to stock you may not have an issue. The mishimoto piece is nice looking.

The mishimoto radiator is fine, the fans are junk. Could not keep my car cool and went back to the contour fans without any more problems.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user