How strong is the rear end?

Rynb15

Nov 21, 2005
I am new to mustangs so excuse the dumb questions. I have had 2 camaros and I was always afraid of breaking something at the track with slicks on. And i always heard about people breaking the rear ends. Now i never hear anything bad about them on mustangs. I guess thats a good thing. Im just wondering can a stock rear end with say 4:10s and slicks take the abuse?

• Sponsors (?)

one guy on this forum had the sstock rear with 500+rwhp(underpressuregt) but it didnt take long for everything to crumble into peices. I think the 8.8 is a great rear end. but is not great enough to hold the traction the slicks give constantly.

im sure 25thmustang will have alot of info on this

How strong is the rear end........huh.that's a good question.........well the other day my friend had a krazy idea of putting Flaming hot sauce on my Nachos.......after eating about a hand full of soaked chili nachos....I could not eat anymore...I drank like a gallon of water to cool me down...........then I passed out. I woke up on a doctors table-Ass up in the air......apprently.....not only did I get my belly pumped,,,,the doctor pumped my ass while I was knocked out.

i think the 8.8 is good for street car, never has given me problems. now if u have like 500+HP and dead hookin on slicks i dont think it will last all that long.

the factory 8.8 is actually one of the strongest points on a mustang.

gruvee87vertgt said:
How strong is the rear end........huh.that's a good question.........well the other day my friend had a krazy idea of putting Flaming hot sauce on my Nachos.......after eating about a hand full of soaked chili nachos....I could not eat anymore...I drank like a gallon of water to cool me down...........then I passed out. I woke up on a doctors table-Ass up in the air......apprently.....not only did I get my belly pumped,,,,the doctor pumped my ass while I was knocked out.

OMG, that was like grade school lame, dude.

Rynb15 said:
I am new to mustangs so excuse the dumb questions. I have had 2 camaros and I was always afraid of breaking something at the track with slicks on. And i always heard about people breaking the rear ends. Now i never hear anything bad about them on mustangs. I guess thats a good thing. Im just wondering can a stock rear end with say 4:10s and slicks take the abuse?
I would say for awhile...but you are playing with fire with the 28 spline axles.
For complete piece of mind in a 8.8 and I know "The only thing holding me back is $$$ saying". This is what I do on a serious street/strip car, heavy on the strip. Put at least 31 spline axles in it. I have ford 9" housing ends welded on the ends because I dont like c-clip eliminators. Have the axle tubes welded at the same time. The stock ford trac lock will not last long. I run a spool in the wifes car. I put a girdle cover on the rear end to help preload the bearing caps. Next upper and lower control arms? Please don't forget the upper and lower torque box reinforcement but that's another subject.
Derick

The 8.8 is a very well built unit. The axels are kind of weak, but othwise the 8.8 itself is very strong. The 9" is stronger, but not by much. I have seen some wicked cars running 8.8's with just axels and carrier.

GM 10-bolts suck. That is how you know if a F-body is fast or not, if it still has a 10-bolt under it, you know it's not that fast. Here's a pic of my buddy's Camaro's rear end after breaking 4 10-bolts.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 12boltlow.jpg
    12boltlow.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 187
i finally twisted out a axle in my rear end. After many nitrous launches my driverside axle gave up the ghost. I just replaced it with a used axle out of another mustang. untill my spider gears die or my traction loc dies i doubt i will upgrade it much. It has served me very well.