How time flies

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I don't have any nostalgia for the "car I drove in high school". It was the late 70's and all of the cars sucked. It was all decals and bogus claims. The screaming chicken on the hood of a 79 Trans Am comes to mind. Big graphics, crappy performance.
I have had the current 89' Saleen since 1999, worked on it for the previous owner since 1990. So this car has some pull on my heart strings.
Imagine growing up with Boss 429 Mustangs, the 69' Z28 Camero, the 70' 455 Stage 1 Buick GS, Hemi Cudas and then getting to driving age and seeing smog choked, low compression crap as the new vehicles. What a disappointment.
I remember in 71 the body style change in the Chargers, then in 74 the GM " slope nose" I knew the good car days were over..... Still amazes me living through those times how we got back on track with some pretty cool cars built in the last 30 years......

Reactions: 1 user
This was a WOW in 1978 as a Junior in HS. One of my classmates got this as a new car.

1655597061717.png

His was the R/T "performance" version. All of 166 HP and 246 lb/ft torque out of that Bad Ass 318...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This was what was brand spanking new when I went to HS.

I remember wanting one of these in the worst way.

• Love
1968 the EPA said all cars will now have a PCV valve
Chev said hell it's going to cut our power output by 7 percent
So they made the 327 now be a 350
Not all manufacturers waited
Ford had a PCV valve in a 65 mustang 289
Sane for R134a freon Ford had it in cars in 1992 when the mandate went into effect in 1994
What was that old car limp? a 40 Ford coupe?

I was class of 73 and not many people had " new " vehicles in school.... I enjoyed the time era I was in as the really neat stuff was a few years old and " affordable" to us who had jobs to spend ALL of their money on cars......
One friend had a 73 Corvette my graduating class.. Wealthy family but he did work at his family business....
I had a 69 car and thought of it as a " newer " car.....
DSCF0169.JPG

5A9AE0DF-FB82-42EC-AC86-43B6F72F5BD8.jpeg
My Dads ‘67 Camaro. 327. Power glide. He still has it in the garage. He’s gonna be 83 this November. Doesn’t drive it much any more. But he goes out to the garage and tinkers with it, let’s it run, sits in it. It’s more than a car to him at this point. It’s a symbol of his youth and a time long gone by. He’s a car guy. That’s why I am too. I love that man.

By the way, Happy Fathers Day guys.

Reactions: 4 users
And as you can see in the picture, Mom looks bored as hell. Lol. Think she’s sleeping. That car was our daily driver for many many years. My Dad used to pull our boat with it. Top picture was after one of our fishing trips. Look at the fishing poles leaning on it!

My Dad took it off the road as our daily sometime in the early ‘80’s when he got a company car. I still remember getting stuck one morning in a snow storm on our way to school. My Dad had put side pipes on it and they got hung up on a pile of snow on our corner. Think that was the first time my sister and I heard my Mom curse. Lol. Good times.

Most of my close family were 'car' people. My mom found my first 'legal to drive on the street' car, (I got my license) '65 Fairlane Sport Coupe hi-po 289 4 speed with A C!!!!!
Of course I butchered it, but that's a typical story.
My dad raced stock cars back then so mom had a 'hot rod' to drive, a Studillac and yes it embarrassed every vette in town.

Reactions: 2 users