How To Change Rear Brakes? 99-04

I'm go'in to a ladies house to change the brakes on her 2000 Stang. I need to know exactly what tools to take with me, as I have only messed with 79-95 cars before.

I read during a search that I will need a 15MM and 12MM socket, as well as the tool to retract the piston. Is that all that is required to remove the caliper and rotor?

• Sponsors (?)

What exactly are you changing on the car? Just pads and rotors? If so, then yeah, that's pretty much all you'll need (though I personally forget what size sockets you'll need...those sound about right though). The tool for retracting the piston is a HUGE help...would sure beat having to use needlenose pliers to twist 'em back in. And of course some brake cleaner.

I did the rear brake pads and rotors on mine not too long ago and it is pretty easy. I think once I got the car up in the air, it only took about 15 minutes per side for the change.

You will need tools to remove the e-clips from the caliper pins. A flat head screwdriver is great for removal and large needle nose pliers for install.

You will need the goo for the back of the pads to prevent squeal.

You will need antiseize or moly based grease to lube the caliper slide pins.

You will need a rubber mallet to help with rotor removal if it is stuck on.

The back brakes dont just push in like normal brake pistons, you actually have to turn them. Just rent the tool from autozone or something. Its free but they want a deposit. I just recently did pads, rotors and stainless steel lines on an 04. Its pretty easy.