How to determine pushrod legth?

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Ok I really am stuck on this step. I might have asked up here before but I don't think I asked the right question. I have a stock 302 89 5.0 stock roller cam, hydraulic roller lifters(new/dry) with e7 stock head's & I wanted to install these scorpion 1.6 pedistol roller rockers but I gotta know,What kind of lftr should I be using to check m sweep patterns? I was using the new dry lifters but I read I have to use a hydraulic solid lifter so I converted one by taking spring out took that ball off and flipped that cylinder housing around put the clip back in but when I used it this time those pushrods I thought were good were really tight! I couldn't rotate the with my fingers at all with the vavles down closed. So I gotta know before I even attempt to use the pushrod legth checking tool with out knowing what lifter to use hydraulic new dry or hydraulic coverted to solid?

• Sponsors (?)

Your post is a little confusing. Factory hydraulic roller lifters is what you need. The lifters need to soak in oil for 24 hours before installing. With Scorpion pedastal mount rockers, you hardly ever need to change the pushrod length. It certainly doesn't hurt to check though. I'd just check with a factory pushrod before I invested in a measuring tool.

Kurt

Your post is a little confusing. Factory hydraulic roller lifters is what you need. The lifters need to soak in oil for 24 hours before installing. With Scorpion pedastal mount rockers, you hardly ever need to change the pushrod length. It certainly doesn't hurt to check though. I'd just check with a factory pushrod before I invested in a measuring tool.

Kurt
Thanks for the reply brother. So when I need to use pumped up lifters? Is that just to check for PR length but when I set them should they be dry?

Thanks for the reply brother. So when I need to use pumped up lifters? Is that just to check for PR length but when I set them should they be dry?

Pumped up. You want to soak them oil for 24 hours, so they fill up with oil. You install them, mark the top of the valve, put everything together, and then rotate the engine over by hand with a ratchet on the crank bolt. When the lifter is full of oil, it will not bleed out with as single rotation of the engine. I used gear marking compound to mark the tops of my valves. My engine builder swears he can read it just by swiping a magic marker over the top of the valve.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user