How to fix door/fender gap from improper jacking point?

Mustang936590

Jun 22, 2017
Previous owner jacked up the driver side on the pinch weld and caused the fender to cave in a bit and as I’m sure many of you know , it really screws up the lines of the car. Is this something that can be fixed myself? Perhaps with body shims? Not sure if the fender needs to be adjusted or the door so any tips if anyone has done this repair themselves would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I fixed mine. I had to remove the rocker molding, (my car is a GT) and straighten out the pinch welds. I used a pair of vice grips to straighten them. I loosed the fender at the back, (didn't need to remove the bumper) because I had to adjust it as well. I loosened all the ones at the top, the one in the door jamb and completely removed the lower bolts. My pinch welds were so crushed that once I had it straightened, I had to wallow out the holes so I could have enough room to adjust it on the bottom, bolt it up and line up my body lines. The fender takes the shape of a banana when its jacked up in that location after the pinch weld flattens out. The fender has to be straightened out where it meets up with the door here too. (Remember: banana). So, once everything is repaired, tighten the upper bolts, put some pressure in the center of the fender, line it up with the door gap, make sure you body lines line up and tighten it down. It may take a little time getting everything done but its doable. See my before and after pics. Don't laugh, the car looked kinda funny when I bought it, not sure what the PO was thinking having it looking like that!!
49F7FDB4-FC5A-46C3-AE39-18572FB5C8D5.png
61CF932E-362E-4863-9124-BAFDC3F149E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No, Shims will just push the fender out even more. If everything else is good, upper rail, “A” pillar and you get the rocker/pinch weld straight enough it’ll line up. You will have to adjust your fender I bet. Post a pic of what yours looks like.