Exhaust How to get lower exhaust flange nut on?

Ratchet strap should work. Bolt the one side up until the ball socket starts to seat. Wrap it around the transmission and both pipes. It shouldn't take a whole bunch of pressure to get the pipe to flex enough to get the ball flange to line up. Easier on a 5 speed where there's no dip stick in the way.

You could also put a jack under the pipe and use a 2x4 to pry the pipe over to line up. The heat from driving the car should take the stress out of the pipe.

The 2x4 thing is scary on Jack stands. Pushing towards one side could make the car fall if they aren't stable or positioned correctly.

If the exhaust angle is off a small amount it could cause it to be off way more at the tail pipes. They are right about that.

I'm late to this party but wanted " in " on the brain storming debacle.
Yeah the 2x4 thing sounds a little scary. I think I will try the ratchet straps tomorrow. I will let you guys know how that goes. Though wouldn’t that be risky too on jacks? The car feels solid but that’s how it always goes until it’s too late… now I have to find something strong enough for it to hold on to……

Thanks for your input

• Sponsors (?)

I bet it wouldn't cost fifty bucks cash to have a muffler shop fix that pipe.
If you're set on doing this yourself try this, bolt up one side to the header, measure how far off the other pipe is, if it is too wide it will be easier, take the x pipe off and wrap a ratchet strap around the pipes near the flange and squeeze the pipes together with the ratchet strap, you will need to squeeze past your measurement a little.
I still say take it to a muffler shop though, you'd be riding already.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Ratchet strap should work. Bolt the one side up until the ball socket starts to seat. Wrap it around the transmission and both pipes. It shouldn't take a whole bunch of pressure to get the pipe to flex enough to get the ball flange to line up. Easier on a 5 speed where there's no dip stick in the way.

You could also put a jack under the pipe and use a 2x4 to pry the pipe over to line up. The heat from driving the car should take the stress out of the pipe.

The 2x4 thing is scary on Jack stands. Pushing towards one side could make the car fall if they aren't stable or positioned correctly.

If the exhaust angle is off a small amount it could cause it to be off way more at the tail pipes. They are right about that.

I'm late to this party but wanted " in " on the brain storming debacle.
The 2x4 in my idea between the pipes, off the car, it is not for pushing. It’s to prevent over adjustment.
You are right about if I the angle is also off, it will be worse on down the line.
Time for the shop.

Reactions: 1 users
The 2x4 in my idea between the pipes, off the car, it is not for pushing. It’s to prevent over adjustment.
You are right about if I the angle is also off, it will be worse on down the line.
Time for the shop.
I bet it wouldn't cost fifty bucks cash to have a muffler shop fix that pipe.
If you're set on doing this yourself try this, bolt up one side to the header, measure how far off the other pipe is, if it is too wide it will be easier, take the x pipe off and wrap a ratchet strap around the pipes near the flange and squeeze the pipes together with the ratchet strap, you will need to squeeze past your measurement a little.
I still say take it to a muffler shop though, you'd be riding already.
yeah, I think it’s just time for the shop. Don’t want to mess anything else up. Now I just need to find an affordable muffler shop near me. Everyone seems to be charging so much around here