How to get tint adhesive off with out destroying rear defroster...

Mike86Stang

Advanced Member
Apr 11, 2000
Red Lion, PA
I got pulled over fall of last year & had to yank all the tint off my car b/c it was too dark :rolleyes: . Anyway I have tried a couple things to get this tint adhesive off my windows but nothing seems to work.

What can I use to remove it without destroying my rear defroster? :shrug:

Thanks
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I only used the thinner on door windows and I took and covered the panels when I did it. I don't think it will hurt the lines but you could try a small spot in a corner that wouldn't effect the window first and see if it does anything to the lines. How come you have to scrape the rear? Is there a state law against tinting the rear in your state? I just can' tint doors.

Try waterless hand cleaner (Go-Jo) like you get at the auto parts store. Use a wet rag to remove it once you rub it in. Avoid the stuff with grit or pumice in it, as the abrasive may damage something.

bluemustang00 said:
I know this is gonna sound stupid but do rub the alcohol all over the tint and then it comes off? Im in the same boat I have to remove my back tint (previous owner did a bad job on do-it-ur-self tints)

Just have to keep rubbing, it will come off. The alcohol will slowly soften the glue. I went throught this same thing.

State law sya here in MD cannot be any darker than 35% all the way around unless it's a van/truck/minivan ect than they can be pitch black except the front two doors which must remain at 35%...

I use the laquer thinner to get it off my quater windows & give the rubbing alchol a shot on the rear... may swing by walmart & see if they have any since it's right down the street from work.

Thanks for the tips guys
Mike

NosPony said:
I tint widows professionally. I use rubbing alcohol to get old tint off works great.

HA! I know this is an old thread, but I had to remove the tint on the back of my car because I got some scratches on it. I was looking around online to find out how to get the adhesive off, and found this thread from searching ask.com

The alcohol worked great!

Thanks guys,

Matt