How to identify a bad MAF sensor?

Luvmy88

Oct 27, 2003
So I finally get my car running, and not running right mind you, I mean runs like crap, super rich. Idle is up and down for 30 seconds at time. I set the TPS voltage, .99, WOT only gets to 3.8 ( I read 4.5 should be WOT) Replaced the TPS, and every other sensor/relay I could, tracking this down (computer even)

One sensor I didnt replace was the MAF sensor - I've searched through the forums, and have gathered that perhaps a bad MAF sensor could be the problem? I'm researching this because of my MAF meter - I bought it off ebay with an A3M computer for cheap to do the conversion from SD (I have an 88) and the computer was bad. So I'm thinking it could be the MAF meter also.

How can I tell if I have a bad MAF meter?

• Sponsors (?)

You should pull the codes first and see what the puter tells you. Get a Haynes manual at the very least, it has good instructions for pulling all of them without buying a scan tool. All you will need is a test light and jumper wire.

As for the MAF, you can tell if its bad, or its wiring or the puter itself is bad. Sorry that didnt make alot of sense. Unplug it while the car is off and start it up. If it runs better, then the MAF sensor is shot. Then again it could be wiring or the puter itself.

The MAF you got bought is calibrated for the fuel injectors you're running..correct? Also, you could prob. diagnose a bad MAF sensor by checking VREF at TPS (-) to black wire (+) to Orange wire...unconnect the MAF and check again...if it gets higher (supposed to be 5 volts +/- .1v) then that means your MAF is shot...think that would prob. work. If you're pushing 5v +/- .1v when you first test it at the TPS w/ MAF plugged in, the MAF would probably be good.

Why TPS volage = 0.99?

Try setting your tps to like 0.8VDC....or even lower (as low as it goes)

I bet your voltage meter is wrong and the EEC is enriching because it thinks your on the gas. I mean how many of have our meters calibrated anually?