how to raise a broken electric window

DrSmith

Sep 2, 2004
Maine
Hi guys, I can't find this on a search. Is there a way to manually raise the window? I have the door panel off and no joy with the electrics as of yet. I want t get the window up and move it out of the garage? Anyone have an idea?
Thanks,
Doc

• Sponsors (?)

Well depending on why its not working, you may not be able to. If the motor itself is bad then you would have to pull the window motor out, lift the window up manually and find a way to hold it up. If its not the window motor then you should be able to hook a power source directly to the motor itself to get it to go up or down.

Agreed with the remove-and-lift method. Be careful - the window is heavy. There are 3 fasteners holding the motor in place IIRC.

sometimes you can bang on the motor and it will start to work a little. My Crown Vic did this with the drivers window, beat the hell out of the door panel and it started coming up slowly, got me through the nest 2 rainy days until I could replace it.

What are the symptoms when you try to raise it with the switch?

Does the motor turn, makes noise, dead, what? If the motor runs buy won't raise the window, then you need to replace the gears inside $5 at the local auto store, check the switch, take it apart and clean it with contact cleaner
Hope this helps.

help!

I have the door panel off, if I click the switch, there is a click in the motor then nothing. If I keep clicking it, the wires get slightly warm....is the motor bad? There is no hum to the motor, just a click.
The motor is a napa version. I have banged on it, no avail. The guy I bought the car from said it died off and on, then quit. He thought it was a ground problem, I can't find a loose wire.
If you guys could help, I can move the sucker out of my wife's parking spot!
Doc

Hi guys,
I posted this already in the wrong spot. I pulled the motor out, it worked, cycled the window up and down, put the motor back in....it goes up and down fine! When should I go for the rear main seal?
Seriously, where do I find brackets to install rear seats?
Thanks,
Doc