How to Repack SN-95 Spindle Hub Bearings

sswilhelm

Dec 27, 2003
This is how you repack SN-95 Spindle Hub Bearings

Contrary to what everyone says or is told, the bearings are not "pressed in". Some are correct to a certain extent when they refer to them as "sealed" I can only speak for the SN-95 Spindles and hubs because that is what I have on my 90. It's kind of funny actually.... I always chuckle about how cheap everyone is on here but I found myself being cheap this time. I bought some SN-95 spindles on Ebay and when they arrived it was obvious that I needed new bearings since they would barely turn and made noise. I had nothing to lose because I was going to have to buy new hubs anyway. $60 Autozone $79 Each at Napa! When do we ever believe what those auto parts stores tell us? They will tell you that they are pressed in when in fact it will come apart in your hand after you remove the c clip in the middle that holds the two races together. These aren't bearings like on the Fox cars, they are the round bearings like your old bicycle used to have except they are in a plastic holder. All I had to do was to clean up the 10 year old grease and repack mine and I saved $120 and I did it in an hour. I don't make $120 an hour, do you? Even if it takes you two hours, do you make $60 an hour? Some people get them from the junk yard for cheaper, but how long before they need to be repacked? Here's how you do it. Take a small flat screwdriver and bend it into a 45 degree angle and play with the tip of that c clip until you get it to pop up. Work it down and around until it no longer wants to jump back into place and then grab it with some needle nose pliers. Careful not scrap the race and get ready because it will literally fall apart in your hand. You can pull both races off of each side. The only thing remaining is the two sets of round bearings. One of the bearings is just sitting there waiting to fall out, but the other one you might have to force a few balls out in order to pull them completely out of the hub. Guys this is truly a simple thing to do. You don't need a press (I have one, that is why I attempted this in the first place) But I was surprised when I didn't need anything but a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. In my case all I needed was repacking. If you need new bearings I'm not sure what to tell you or where you will find them. Always inspect your races for scoring too. Take a look at the picture if I can figure out how to put it in here. Maybe someone will help me post it. Go buy yourself a 6 pack AFTER you're done with the money you saved!

Attachments

• repack.jpg
    repack.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Sponsors (?)

After reading this a friend of mine tried it. Although he has SN95 spindles and hubs his was a little different. There was no C clip retainer so we had to tap the outer bearing race (small one) out from the inside. So basically use a small brass punch on the lower race while the hub is sitting on the lugs. Don't use a press or you will break the bearing case. It doesn't take much pressure at all. Koyo had added a lip onto the race which kept it inside the bearings. Then just tap the other side out with the wooden part of your hammer. It was hard to see what the number on this type of bearing was but it was only 2 digits and the last one is H. SH maybe? Still this is a piece of cake and doesn't require a press.