Interior and Upholstery Need Speedometer Help

• Sponsors (?)

I hosed the rotating assy, disk and magnets, and where the cable goes into the back of the speedo with brake cleaner. I had a few extra speedo’s so I wasn’t concerned about it. I previously had it repaired and calibrated and it worked for a few weeks then went back to where it was before. A noisy and jumpy speedo.

I had some swamp cooler bearing oil and used that to lube the rotating assy. Been quiet and pretty accurate ever since. It’s been a few years and haven’t had an issue with it.

I did make sure that my new cable was good to go and throughly lubed with that graphite powder.

I hosed the rotating assy, disk and magnets, and where the cable goes into the back of the speedo with brake cleaner. I had a few extra speedo’s so I wasn’t concerned about it. I previously had it repaired and calibrated and it worked for a few weeks then went back to where it was before. A noisy and jumpy speedo.

I had some swamp cooler bearing oil and used that to lube the rotating assy. Been quiet and pretty accurate ever since. It’s been a few years and haven’t had an issue with it.

I did make sure that my new cable was good to go and throughly lubed with that graphite powder.
Is there any other oil you would suggest using other than swamp cooler bearing oil? I can go buy some of that oil, but if there's another type of oil that would work, I might actually have some. Just wanted to know what options I have.

That’s just what I had on my shelf. Figured it would work just fine because that oil is designed to be out in the elements in a swamp cooler and not really gum up. Your guess is as good as mine.

You got me thinking about the oil, and this is what I used.

Attachments

• DFA9C70C-B4E9-44C4-8495-99925C946D31.jpeg
    DFA9C70C-B4E9-44C4-8495-99925C946D31.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: 1 user
Well I finally got the speedometer cleaned and oiled (3-in-1 oil) and got it installed. Took the car for a drive and it is still sticking and not reading correctly. Cleaning and oiling it made no difference. GRRRR!!!! I did install some new LED lights in the instrument cluster and man do they look great!!!!!!

Well I finally got the speedometer cleaned and oiled (3-in-1 oil) and got it installed. Took the car for a drive and it is still sticking and not reading correctly. Cleaning and oiling it made no difference. GRRRR!!!! I did install some new LED lights in the instrument cluster and man do they look great!!!!!!
3-in-1 oil is no good for instrumentation, too heavy, i.e. 20W. Watch oil or jeweler's oil would be the best. 10W Hunter fan motor oil would work. I've had good luck with Corrosion Block for restoring electrical switches.

3-in-1 oil is no good for instrumentation, too heavy, i.e. 20W. Watch oil or jeweler's oil would be the best. 10W Hunter fan motor oil would work. I've had good luck with Corrosion Block for restoring electrical switches.
Good to know. Well maybe I need to clean it out again and try a different oil. Thanks for the info.

Hey guys, I have a question. Thanks to General Karthief, I have a replacement speedometer gauge that I'm going to use to replace the gauge I currently have due to the speedometer not reading correctly and issue with it bouncing around. But because of other vehicle projects going on at the same time I was working on this issue with my Stang, I haven't got the speedometer gauge installed yet. However, before I install it I would like to change the odometer mileage to match what I currently have on my odometer. I searched Youtube for videos on how to do this, but I can't find any. Do you guys have a video or pictures or extremely good instructions on how to change the odometer reading? I don't know how to get the odometer apart and I don't want to break it.

I'm dumb there and just put a spare odometer in Black Jack without changing it. Obviously, this isn't the sort of tech info that you normally want out in public, but there're a couple guys that have done it before who might reach out to you.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Obviously, this isn't the sort of tech info that you normally want out in public, but there're a couple guys that have done it before who might reach out to you.

Read US Code 32703 and 32704. It lays out pretty clearly what you can and cannot do when it comes to odometer "adjustment", specifically 32704. The Ford Motorsport speedometers came with directions on how to correct the odometer.

Here’s the Ford instructions. They are not that good.
1A566731-ECED-4D38-B4E0-1D0E27AB9ED5.jpeg
32445801-FEA4-44DF-87E6-DFE85167828D.jpeg

Last edited:
I zeroed the Dash in my dodge when I had the gauge cluster rebuilt.......
What I read is " as long as you declare it" no problem......

Last edited:
I zeroed the Dash in my dodge when I had the gauge cluster rebuilt.......
What a read is " as long as you declare it" no problem......

That's exactly what the law states.

If you are unable to set the odometer to match the original mileage, you zero it and declare it with a label

1688662191004.png

But i'm not a lawyer. You folks can do whatever you need to do.

Reactions: 1 users