Interior and Upholstery Need Speedometer Help

1992MustangGT

15 Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Washington State
I have a 92 Mustang and I'm having issues with the speedometer not working properly. I've replaced the cable and that didn't fix the problem. After reading some other threads on the issue, it sounds like I need to clean the head (disc / cup) & magnets that make the needle move. I have the instrument cluster disassembled but I don't know how to disassemble the speedometer itself. There are two screws that bolt the speedometer cluster to the panel, but there's also a thin metal wire that goes from the speedometer head through the panel and that the needle mounts onto. Does the needle just press onto this thin wire? How do I disassemble this thing so I can clean the head & magnets? I have searched for a video to show me how to do this, but I can't find one anywhere. I can't even find an article/thread explaining how to do it. So I'm hoping you guys can help. Here's a picture of what I'm working with.

Attachments

• Mustang Speedometer.jpg
    Mustang Speedometer.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Sponsors (?)

The speedometer works, (so does the odometer) but it is slow to respond (going faster than the needle shows) and it also sticks (won't come back down to zero for quite a while, and it displays faster than what actually going (going 60 but displaying 140 or any other speed. When my speedometer issues first started, it was a bouncing & ticking needle. I changed the speedometer cable but it's now doing this other weird stuff. The speedo gear is in good shape, so that's not the issue. IMO, it's acting like the speedometer is gummed up and not spinning freely, so I wanted to clean it, but I don't know how to take it apart. This is where I need someone's help/advice.

The workings of the speedometer are tiny and pretty intricate,
If you scroll to the bottom of the page there are threads that are similar, also check the tech/how to thread on the main 5.0 tech page.
Meanwhile I'll check around here and there for some info.
I do remember that the pointer just pulls off but remember it's delicate.

Khanpa--If you don't mind me asking, what was the company you sent your speedometer to and how much did it cost to repair it?

General Karthief--The intricacy of these speedometers is exactly why I'm asking for help before I tear it apart. I don't want to break something because I don't know how it comes apart. I've been reading the related threads (as you suggested), but I haven't run across anything telling me what I need to know....yet. But I'm still researching.

So if the pointer just pulls off, then I assume that would allow me to remove the speedo gearing (for lack of a better description) from the panel. That's a start. Now I need to know how to get the rest of it apart so I can clean the disc & the magnet (and whatever else I need to clean). I appreciate your (and everybody's) help. Please post info if you run across it.

Reactions: 1 user
I send to Southern Electronics Richmond VA Phone 800-446-2880 . quoted me 350.00 but once they receive my cluster, only cleaning required so they charge me 240.00 including shipping. I had good experience dealing with them.

I know how to take it apart, but parts are non-existent and you need very special equipment to calibrate and verify these. Hard to do in Your garage.

The speedo magnet spins and causes a cup to want to chase it. Sometimes when folks push the speedo needle in too far it causss the cup to drag which messes up how the speedo reads and eventually damages it

This is a damaged cup and magnet assemble. They should not touch.
2215D927-8E45-4253-AD58-925ECDB287C1.jpeg

If you pull the needle, behind the guage face you will find a spring. This spring has specific tension in it to return to 0. The calibration of the magnet needs to be adjusted for these various springs. You can't just swap them when they get damaged as it needs calibration after

Missing spring here from damage
4F1C2C2A-CCEB-4B68-9319-2E619F1CB3A2.jpeg

There’s a large electromagnetic coil used to adjust these magnets by adjusting the strength through electromagnetism. I’ve seen a couple of these machines pop up on eBay and are rather expensive, so they tend to be purchased by a shop vs a shade-tree.

Your best bet is send the speedo to a shop, or buy a new cluster and take the speedo. Used 90-93 clusters can be had for $100-150 and ford motorsport 140mph/160mph speedo can be had for around $250. The mileage can be adjusted on the head very easily.

I have yet to pull a speedo apart without damaging it. They are delicate. Swapping parts between them throws the accuracy right out the window. I’ve tried.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!! This is exactly what I needed to know. So it sounds like I would be better off sending it to a shop rather than attempting to do this myself due to the calibration that is needed and the delicacy of this thing. I might just have to do that. But does anyone sell new ones or is my only option to buy used off of ebay or somewhere? I think it would be better to buy a new one rather than pay the same price to have mine repaired. You mentioned the Ford Motorsport speedometer can be bought for $250. Who sells these speedometers? I can't seem to find them.

Khanpa--I submitted a quote request for repair (cleaning) to Southern Electronics just now. We'll see what they say.

Last edited:
So I received a price quote from Southern Electronics. They want $395 to clean/repair my speedometer (includes shipping costs). OUCH!!!! I'm going to do some shopping around and see if I can find a place that will clean it without screwing me over on the price.

But does anyone sell new ones or is my only option to buy used off of ebay or somewhere? I think it would be better to buy a new one rather than pay the same price to have mine repaired. You mentioned the Ford Motorsport speedometer can be bought for $250. Who sells these speedometers? I can't seem to find them.

Used only unfortunately, which means there is risk of buying a speedo with issues.

They are on EBAY, although I checked prices and it seems they have gone up. Motorsport speedos now seem to be $300+

Cheapest option would be to try and buy a used 90-93 cluster and either swap the entire cluster or just the speedometer depending on what is in the better condition.

Thins is it's hit or miss with used speedometers if they have bouncing issues and such.

Cheapest i've found on ebay with a broken lens, but you can use your existing. Changing the odometer to match isn't that difficult if that matters to you.

I had the same issues a few years back. Tried a couple of the used replacements and most had issues. I didn’t take them apart to clean, just to match up mileage. See Mustang5l5’s pics above. I picked the best out of them, sprayed the end of it with brake parts cleaner and used a little swamp cooler bearing oil in the head and it worked great. Really smoothed it out.

The speedometers I had were noisy, and the needles bounced around all over the place. What I did made a big difference.

First company that comes out with a reasonable speedometer head rebuild & calibration program is going to have a lot of business.

But the problems are you need a special machine to do it...and parts to rebuild the heads if needed.

1992MustangGT,
Are you are dead set on keeping the stock style instrument cluster? If not then LMR has a digital one that has good reviews but you are gonna be around $900 for it. If I was going to send that king of money I would most likely work with Florida 5.0 and go the Autometer route but I am old school like that.

You have got to have speedometer service shops up in the Washinton State area and depending on where you live you might be close enough to not have to ship it. I used Jackson Speedometer Service in Oklahoma City and they did a great job and it was cheap but that was a few years back.

I'm really leery to buy a used speedometer because given the age of them, more than likely they will have problems, then I just wasted all that money. But if a used one can be verified that it doesn't have any problems, then I would consider it.

I have seen the digital instrument clusters on the LMR website. I'd love to have one of them, but they're way too much money for my budget right now. I might be able to get one in the future, but for now I need to figure out how to repair mine for a reasonable price.

I contacted 3 different companies asking for a price quote and I received a response from one of them. Still waiting for a response from the other two. One of them is in Boise (which is where we live now), so it would be great if they quoted me a reasonable price because I wouldn't have to ship it. We'll see....