How to wire a Battery cutoff switch

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
Visit site
How do you wire a battery cutoff switch to make the NHRA happy, and to protect or properly shut down the alternator?

Ie, if I get the fancy switch with two poles, which wire goes to the second set of contacts, the alt output wire or the alt field control wire.

It seems to me, that interrupting the field wire is what the normal key shutdown does, that stops alt output. I read that you can damage the alternator if you do not shut it off correctly.

I think I am making this too hard, but ????

Thanks

• Sponsors(?)

Mephisto

May 10, 2004
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/weight/battery_relocate.htm

The cutoff switch must be connected to the POSITIVE side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions. The off position must be clearly indicated with the word OFF. If the switch is push/pull type, push must be the action of shutting off the electrical system, pull to turn on. Any rods of cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8 inch diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited.
You cannot simply hook your positive battery cable to the cut off switch. The truck will continue to run if you disconnect the battery. You must also tap into the power to the PCM relay to be cut off as well, from the same switch, so the truck will stop running when the switch is used.
1. Run a # 1 cable from the ON side of the switch up to the original battery cable that hooks to the solenoid on the fire wall.

2. Unhook the alternator cable from the solenoid on the fire wall and hook to a #2 wire and ran it back to the battery side of the switch.

3. Take a #1 wire and run from the battery positive side to the battery side of the switch same side as the alternator wire.

4. Run a #2 wire from the negative side of the battery to a good ground on the frame (make sure you clean the paint etc. away before connecting the ground to the frame!)

5. Up front I just cleaned a spot on the frame of the truck and I connected the ground wire to the frame. Keep in mind I didn't cut ANY factory wires because I might want to put it back to stock again one day.
batt_relo_wiring.jpg

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Where does this negative cable go??? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 3
6 Starter Issues - 68 Stang EFI conversion 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 5
R 2002 WIRING AT BATTERY SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
35thGTLimited What Is This Wire Called, So I Can Replace? Goes From Alt To Battery. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
No.11 Electrical Sparking At Negative Battery Terminal After Alt. 4 Ga Power Wire Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
M Battery Wire Location? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
9 Wire Tuck And Battery Relocation The Welcome Wagon 4
ShallowGrave Electrical Battery Drain, Yellow Solenoid Wire Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
FoMoCo17 Airbag Backup Battery Ground Wire Termination Point Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
M Electrical Help! battery/wiring problem. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
JordanB21 Headlights, Fusebox, Battery, And Wiring Issues And Questions 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 18
golf4283 Battery Wiring Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
Canary94GT Battery charging issues. Alternator or wiring? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
6 How to wire a 1 wire alternator with trunk mounted battery Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
91StangGT5.0 What is the little ground wire from Battery for? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
meltmanbob Fuel pump won't turn on unless wired to battery 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 1
M 67 Alternator NOT Charging Battery / What's this wire? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
K wiring issue from Alternator to Battery Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 22
asecretfile Small gauge battery positive wire?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
StreetDreamsGT Should the power and ground wire both be the same size for battery relocation? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
S Starter, alternator, battery, or wire path? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
Bosko5.0 Battery wire relocation Inside Pic request! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
SaltWaterFish wiring problems killing my battery Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
wyteelx Wiring a trunk mounted battery Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
TrueBlue95GT Battery disconnect switch wiring 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
4.6andSlicks What's this huge red wire off my battery (pic) SVT Tech Forum 3
ponyboy19 Battery cut off switch, Alternator wire? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
Busted07 Trunk mount battery with a 1 wire Alternator (Non-EFI) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
ga289stocker Battery relocation wiring question???help.... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
nonglossjason reversed battery wires Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
R trunk mount battery wiring questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
fox racer Battery relocation... Wiring discussion. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
95strokerPSU Battery wiring question 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
hoamskilet relocating battery to trunk...how much wire? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 12
K Wiring EFI harness to battery and alt Q?s Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
K Wiring EFI harness to battery and alt Q?s Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
P Trunk Battery & Relay Wiring Question Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
stangman16 '66 Mustang Wiring issue / battery drains Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
L 2g vs 0g wire for battery relocation Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
AmBo How do YOU wire to your battery? Mustang Sound & Shine All 7
1BAD93 Battery relocation wiring question (already did search) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
J what is this plug for? wiring under battery apron Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
mytight95 Battery Relocation............wiring help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
C Odd problem with battery/wires/something? <LONG> Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Fairlane what are the two little ground wires off of the battery neg. for? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
87_5.0 Wiring battery to trunk Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
BlackFox5.0 Relocating battery, is 2/O gauge wires good enough? Where to route? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
M Can I ground a digital gauge ground wire to the (-) negative battery terminal? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
SilverStallion 2000 GT - How Does the Back Seat Come Out For Battery Relocation Wiring Installation? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
donkey_punch question on installing new battery wires Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1