How would you set up a old car??

Wicked65

Aug 10, 2003
NORCAL
Me and a friend were talking about suspensions, old cars and new..blah blah. Basically the question was brought up, given a fox or sn-95 with all the bolt on stuff, coilover front with k member, uppers, lowers, drag springs, anti roll bar..... What would it take for a 65-66 mustang to basically be able to get the same traction? I know NOTHING about older cars other then they had leaf springs. So please educate me how to make a older car hook up. From a good suspension set up to the back half. Thanks for clearing up some confusion.

• Sponsors (?)

straight line. Running high 9 low 10. And not on some 15in wide slicks.. Like a 275/50/15 setup. comparable to a fox or sn95. Mini tub is ok, just not some top fuel tire.

If you're just looking for drag suspension... there are a number of good threads on how to properly set up your suspension.

On my 66... for drag-only... I'd go 275 wide tires on 17 inch wheels (because I know you can get those in without tubbing or hardcore fender rolling, I've seen it done... consensus is on smaller wheels you can't), perhaps a detroit locker. Then... remove the sway bar at the track, no rear sway, 6 cylinder springs up front, those eaton (i think) anti-wheel hop springs on the rear, cal tracs, some KYB GR2s or maybe even something less stiff. Subframe connectors, I believe help, though in general I think most body braces would reduce weight transfer. None of that is particularly elaborate or expensive and its effective.

There are people on here doing some pretty elaborate rear end setups, but those get pricey fast.

Personally I don't see the appeal of a drag-only car... I want my car to be a fairly well-rounded one when its done. The fact that I'm in an area in SoCal with no decent tracks that I know of within 100 miles of me is part of that. I generally find hauling ass onto freeway onramps and semi-curvy back country roads is substantially more fun than popping the clutch and launching at a stoplight (those lateral g-forces are pretty awesome...). This is just me though...