HUGE DENT IN OIL PAN!!!! PICS INSIDE

Ok I got to looking under the car to check for any visual damage from the Harmonic Balancer/ SC crank pulley breaking and falling from the car. The reason I thought there might be some damage is because when this happened somewhere the HB got wedged in the front of the car and lifted the front of the car off the ground for a split second( or it seemed like it did) so I noticed a ticking sound (like an exhaust leak) when I was driving the car home. I put the Stock crank pulley ( NO S/C) to atleast drive the car home. The car drove good and seemed like there was nothing wrong. Sounded the same and ran good considering the car was running with no SC but I did not drive the car hard because the car is tuned to run with the SC...anyway I got to looking in the front of the car and there is this HUGE dent in the front of the oil pan where the drain plug is. Now my question is will this hurt anything leaving it this way until I can get another oil pan some time down the road when I pull the motor ( not telling WHY I am pulling the motor hehe)? Here are some pics that I just took a few minutes ago of the dent

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Its hard to say, the dent doesnt look that deep so I dont think it would interfere with anything on the bottom side of you engine, also I belive the oil pump tube is located further back so that shouldnt be effected either.

well that probably because of the silicone that i used around the barb to make sure that it didnt leak. I am pretty sure that it is high enough cause i poked that hole in the oil pan with 5 quarts of oil in it and the motor hadnt been ran in a week so all the oil was in the oil pan and also I went be the directions that came with the SC on the measurements on where to put it. If it was wrong wouldnt I know it by now? maybe not

That is not going to cause any issues. The oil pick-up area on the pick-up tube is on the other end of the oil pan, towards the rear.

yeah I knew that I was just wanting conformation that there wasnt any harm there. I knew that the oil pump is right next to that though. Would suck if it hit that and bent that tube or caused it to leak and lose oil pressure. I am having a hard time keeping oil in this thing as it is since i started running synthetic

I was looking at how close the dent is to the plug. You may want to on the next oil change run a bolt up there and see if it hits the dent. If it does you may need to use the bolt to help move the dent downward to give clearence incase it will not allow the drain plug to seat.

I was looking at how close the dent is to the plug. You may want to on the next oil change run a bolt up there and see if it hits the dent. If it does you may need to use the bolt to help move the dent downward to give clearence incase it will not allow the drain plug to seat.

Good advice...If I had the money I would buy a canton 7 quart pan and slap my 347 in my money is tight right now with me in the process of buying a house

good time to buy a house now home prices are coming down.

Buying a house now is like trying to catch a falling knife. You may get it right and catch the knife or you may get it wrong and bleed like a stuck pig.

Don't buy when they're coming down, buy when they're just starting to go up.

The only "experts" saying that prices have bottomed out are those that work for the NAR. ALL other data points otherwise. Sales of existing homes continue to be very sluggish with a whole lot of homes sitting for a very long time due to the homeowners not believing that the prices are not the same now as they were 2,3 and 4 years ago.