humming coming from rear of car

blackstangt

May 31, 2004
ny
stock rear, haven't changed the wheel bearings during my ownership, aluminum ds under 10k, tko-600 trans under 10k, should i just change the gear oil in the rear, if so, with what additives and fluid? How can i check the wheel bearings? going to see how loose/tight the ds is, i had it loosen up on me, but torqued it down extremely well. bought locktite for it this time.

• Sponsors (?)

Is there anyone gagged and stuffed in the trunk?

Good call on the threadlock for the DS to pinion flange bolts - they like to back out otherwise (I dont think that will help anything, but it is a good idea).

Oh yeah, JR asked my question so I dont have much to ask. Wheel bearings tend to rumble a bit. The first one I lost (I was young) I thought the axle ripped partially off the car. Not nice.

Good luck.

jrichker said:
Does it hum when you are sitting still? If so you have a noisy fuel pump. If not, look somewhere else.

Are you OK?
That's probally the simplest, shortest post by ever.

You need to pinpoint the location of the noise. I would put it on a lift and run it so the noise is being made and listen through a automotive stephescope. However sitting with the rear on jackstands and a 3/8ths extention will work too, just don't let it fall on you.

If you are pulling the hubs to check the bearings, spend the extra time to repack them. Save you time down the road. Chances are they might not be making any noise, but dry as hell. Bearings tend to squeal rather than hum. Sounds like a dry rear end.

If it's speed dependant....the gears might be howling. Does changing from accel to decel change the tone? If so, it is gears. Drop the pumpkin cover and you'll probably see sparkles in the oil. For a bandaid solution, fill it with super heavy 90w-135(? something like that) gear oil and the heavy gear oil will cusion things a bit.

Matty469 said:
about a 1,400 psi or higher pressure washer, engine brite engine degreaser, and a scrub brush. Don't be afraid to get in there and get a little wet!
You dont mean inside the pumpkin, do you? I would not be using all that stuff inside there, personally.

I even avoid using pressurized water around seals - motorcycle guys know what I mean. Pressurized water can wipe wheel bearings (for instance) out.

That is just MHO and wanted to say something in case clarification is needed (I have no issues with pressure washing the outside of an axle, sans near wheel bearings, the axle vent, etc. That might have been what you were getting at - I am not sure).

Good luck.

if you pull off the cover of the pumpkin i would just say wipe it clean with some shop towels. To look at the axles you will need to pull the c-clips from inside the pumpkin and slide them out. Look for pitts in the metal near the end of the axles(brake side).

there's no way to check the axle bearings, like the front wheel bearings? If not, i have been carpooling and will be doing the oil change, what oil and brand? Autozone said straight 90w...