Humming Noise In My 2002 3.8l V6

cgdz

Jul 24, 2012
Hello everyone. I recently started noticing this humming noise while on the highway. It seems to come from the front left side and I can feel a very light, but fast vibration on the pedals especially when pressing down on the brake pedal. It seems to only happen at 40+ mph. Turning at those speeds is also strange; when I switch lanes the car doesn't turn completely smoothly. It seems to jerk a little bit. It also feels a bit like the car is leaning a bit to the left.

I'm thinking this might be the wheel bearing, but I'm not sure. This started soon after taking it to a mechanic. He replaced the front brake rotors and brake pads and says he "rebuilt" the front left wheel bearing because he said he noticed some play in the tire when it was on the lift. Could it be that it wasn't properly repaired?

This is happening on a 2002 3.8L V6 Ford Mustang.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply.

• Sponsors (?)

first off make sure that its perfectly aligned , that means when the steering wheel is straight ahead it drives straight and not even slightly left or right , im not familiar with 2002 3.8s , but it may be a tie rod end going bad , and if they have grease inserts then grease them, but not to much , just 1 and a half squirts , the hum may actually be coming from the differential , and may mean it needs new lubricant , but is actually really unlikely if its coming from the front left especially at 40plus , i kinda doubt these problems are connected but definantly could be , also check your serpantine belt, should be super tight

sounds like bad bearing or bad camber check for abnormal wear on the inside edge of that tire.
i was cruising on the highway at 75 and out of nowhere a bearing started doing this. these bearing hubs need a new nut if they are removed, maybe he didnt do that. try to retorque it first i think it needs 300 ft lbs. or try a new nut. good luck finding that torque wrench.