Hurst Billet Review

GreyDiesel

Jul 26, 2008
Denver, CO
hurst004.jpg

I wanted to put up a review of the Hurst Billet Shifter, for anyone trying to decide what short throw shifter to install. Long story short, I absolutely love it.

Here are the reasons I went with the Hurst.

price: Once you get the ball shifter installed on your MGW, your up to 320, which is close to $70, or 30% more expensive than the Hurst Billet. It may sound like splitting hairs, but I had an easier time justifying the expense of the Hurst. (320 is close to my monthly payment on the car itself).

look: Obviously personal preference here, but I think the Hurst in a Mustang just makes sense. It is an icon. Again, splitting hairs, but I actually liked the flat shaft of the Hurst.

My concerns prior to the purchase, that are now completely gone.

Feel: This was the biggest question going into the purchase for me. I know the Hurst has been described as notchy. The last thing I wanted was a crappy feel to my shifter. And this is the main reason I wanted to post this review. I would hesitate to describe the Hurst as notchy. I can see why folks might be tempted to describe it that way, but "notchy" has certain negative implications that I dont think are accurate. I would say it is precise. It pops into gears rather than slides into gear -and this feels great. Picture this, the engine revs to 6 grand, then, pop-pop, your in second, pop-pop, your in third. It is great --tons of fun. I enjoy driving my mustang 10 times more than before. I have had no problems finding the gears, or knowing what gear I am in. It is a very sturdy and high-quality feel. I have tons more control over my car, and therefore much more confidence in how I drive it.

Height: I was concerned that the shifter was a bit tall, but now that I have it in the car, it looks natural, and the little bit of extra length gives you more control over the shifts. A short shifter with a short shaft is going to be all the more difficult to shift. The extra height gives you the leverage you need to really slam it from gear to gear.

Noise: The shifter is slightly louder than stock. I would guess this is because the stock dust shield does not fit tightly around the Hurst stick like it does the stock shifter. When reading about shifters prior to the purchase, noise was a major concern of mine. I can report, that though the hurst is just slightly louder, I actually sort of like it. I can hear the engine better. As for gear noise, with the stock shifter, you can sort of hear a few clicks and clucks though-out the shift. Since it is a long shift, in the full second or two it takes to get from 1st to 2nd, you might hear three or four dull click, cluck, click click cluck. With the hurst, that is all compressed into one slightly louder pop, over just a half-second or less. So, it is louder, but not in a bad way, a more precise and overall much higher quality way. I mean, yes, if your going for a refined cab environment, the hurst is probably not going to help in that regard. But if you want a more balls-to-the-wall environment, the Hurst really helps in that regard. And I think, if the louder pops start to get to me, just a bit sound deadening foam placed around the shifter will eliminate this.

Bonus I had not expected:
Before the hurst, while accelerating at WOT, I would always get tons of wheel spin going into second. I thought this was odd considering I have the 3.31 rear ratio. With the hurst, that is completely gone. I have no wheel spin in second gear.

It took me three hours to install the shifter by myself. It is pretty straightforward. I did have to go out and buy a set of hex wrenches. ($5.00)

One question. The Hurst Billet comes with stops. I removed them because the MGW thread informed me that the tranny has built in stops. Is this cool? Is there some reason why I might need stops in the Hurst?

• Sponsors (?)

hurst004.jpg

I wanted to put up a review of the Hurst Billet Shifter, for anyone trying to decide what short throw shifter to install. Long story short, I absolutely love it.

Here are the reasons I went with the Hurst.

price: Once you get the ball shifter installed on your MGW, your up to 320, which is close to $70, or 30% more expensive than the Hurst Billet. It may sound like splitting hairs, but I had an easier time justifying the expense of the Hurst. (320 is close to my monthly payment on the car itself).

look: Obviously personal preference here, but I think the Hurst in a Mustang just makes sense. It is an icon. Again, splitting hairs, but I actually liked the flat shaft of the Hurst.

My concerns prior to the purchase, that are now completely gone.

Feel: This was the biggest question going into the purchase for me. I know the Hurst has been described as notchy. The last thing I wanted was a crappy feel to my shifter. And this is the main reason I wanted to post this review. I would hesitate to describe the Hurst as notchy. I can see why folks might be tempted to describe it that way, but "notchy" has certain negative implications that I dont think are accurate. I would say it is precise. It pops into gears rather than slides into gear -and this feels great. Picture this, the engine revs to 6 grand, then, pop-pop, your in second, pop-pop, your in third. It is great --tons of fun. I enjoy driving my mustang 10 times more than before. I have had no problems finding the gears, or knowing what gear I am in. It is a very sturdy and high-quality feel. I have tons more control over my car, and therefore much more confidence in how I drive it.

Height: I was concerned that the shifter was a bit tall, but now that I have it in the car, it looks natural, and the little bit of extra length gives you more control over the shifts. A short shifter with a short shaft is going to be all the more difficult to shift. The extra height gives you the leverage you need to really slam it from gear to gear.

Noise: The shifter is slightly louder than stock. I would guess this is because the stock dust shield does not fit tightly around the Hurst stick like it does the stock shifter. When reading about shifters prior to the purchase, noise was a major concern of mine. I can report, that though the hurst is just slightly louder, I actually sort of like it. I can hear the engine better. As for gear noise, with the stock shifter, you can sort of hear a few clicks and clucks though-out the shift. Since it is a long shift, in the full second or two it takes to get from 1st to 2nd, you might hear three or four dull click, cluck, click click cluck. With the hurst, that is all compressed into one slightly louder pop, over just a half-second or less. So, it is louder, but not in a bad way, a more precise and overall much higher quality way. I mean, yes, if your going for a refined cab environment, the hurst is probably not going to help in that regard. But if you want a more balls-to-the-wall environment, the Hurst really helps in that regard. And I think, if the louder pops start to get to me, just a bit sound deadening foam placed around the shifter will eliminate this.

Bonus I had not expected:
Before the hurst, while accelerating at WOT, I would always get tons of wheel spin going into second. I thought this was odd considering I have the 3.31 rear ratio. With the hurst, that is completely gone. I have no wheel spin in second gear.

It took me three hours to install the shifter by myself. It is pretty straightforward. I did have to go out and buy a set of hex wrenches. ($5.00)

One question. The Hurst Billet comes with stops. I removed them because the MGW thread informed me that the tranny has built in stops. Is this cool? Is there some reason why I might need stops in the Hurst?

+1

nice. i like my hurst a lot.

mine came in my car when i bought it, but its from the frpp drag pack, so it doesn't look like a hurst.

i have never driven a stock shifter mustang, but a guy near me has the same things done pretty much that i do, except long tubes and x pipe when i just have the frpp shorties, and i have the short throw he has stock. slamming gears he can't break the tires loose going into third at all. i've done it several occasions.

i definitely agree with your comment about it being precise. i've driven quite a few manual cars, and alot of them have slop and play in the shifter. with the hurst, the only place you can go is the gear your aiming for.

I don't know if the internal stop "rumour" is true, but I believe that came from MGW. What I do know for a fact is that stops in the shifter will "buzz" at times and be annoying. I also have to wonder how strong the internal stops are if they do exist.

I've been into these trannies before and they do have internal stops. From what I see they look as though they can handle some decent abuse, but my other thought was if you are a serious gear banger you might want to install the stops. They are not that strong, but they are there.

The guy that started this thread is referring to the new Hurst BILLET shifter, not the Hurst shifter that's been out for quite some time.

yup, the Billet is different from the regular Hurst. It is made of billet aluminum instead of stamped steel. I think the throws are the same, but the Billet is hopefully a bit more sturdy. It was very light as well, so if you are looking to save on weight, you can probably save a pound or two with this shifter. :shrug:

Here is a link with a bit more info. Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09)

As per my review, I really like it. But I would be curious how it compares to the regular Hurst, or the MGW. Too bad you cant try them all out.

Thanks Anthony05 for your thoughts on the stops. I have been beating the tranny around all week and now I feel sort of bad. I think I'll put the Hurst stops in just to be on the safe side.

yup, the Billet is different from the regular Hurst. It is made of billet aluminum instead of stamped steel. I think the throws are the same, but the Billet is hopefully a bit more sturdy. It was very light as well, so if you are looking to save on weight, you can probably save a pound or two with this shifter. :shrug:

Here is a link with a bit more info. Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09)

As per my review, I really like it. But I would be curious how it compares to the regular Hurst, or the MGW. Too bad you cant try them all out.

Thanks Anthony05 for your thoughts on the stops. I have been beating the tranny around all week and now I feel sort of bad. I think I'll put the Hurst stops in just to be on the safe side.

Nice report, and thanks for the link, mine's now ordered.

I didn't want the Ford Racing one because of the stamped steel, but this Billet version is just what the Doc ordered!!:nice:

Thats no good. Maybe would have helped to have the K-member brace? I am not familiar enough with transmissions to know what would cause a syncro to fail. What do you think caused this? Is it simply from shifting too fast too much?

i'm thinking it was most likely user error for his case. missing gears, probably high rpm down shifts into second.

i had to rebuild the tranny in my old car, so i have a little knowledge on how transmissions work. his mechanic was badmouthing the transmissions in these cars. now i'm sure these tranny's aren't built bullet proof race tranny's, but you cant bad mouth a transmission because the guy can't shift.

the t3650 problems i keep finding are for 01-04

"On 2001-04 models of the 3650 the oil fill specs was 3.8 liters of dexron III ATF. The unit was validated using mobil one synthetic transmission fluid but was changed to dexronIII for a slightly lower viscosity and improved cold shifting performance. these units has a problem with a "nibble" on the 1-2 shift, After much study and research it was found that the oil level was too high in the uni. This caused windage problems with the excess lube causing the gears to over-synchronize. this is because when the gear train is submerged in too much oil the transmission fluid overheats and foams and affects the turning ratio of the gear train similar to your trying to run on the beach in 2 feet of water. The increased resistance to turning slows the gears prematurely and alters the synchronizer timing, causing shift problems. The oil level was reduced to 3 liters and the problem was resolved."

i know he has driven the car like a bat out of hell since hes got it, never a slow day. has crashed it into curbs tryin to show off and such. so i wouldn't put it past him with the stock shifter grinding gears several times.