I am looking at a 2004 GT, let me know if this is the wrong place to post...

Ohio B7

Mar 8, 2007
I am going to be needing a new car in about 6 months. I have the finances to get about a 18K car. I will spend up to that amount if I have to, but looking online, I have found many 2004 Mustang GT 5 speeds fully loaded with under 20k miles for about 15k. I have a great deal of knowledge about cars, and have a good basice understanding of the Mustang lineup, style and engine changes, Cobras, Mach 1 ect. This will be my first rear wheel drive car but I am not concerned about that at all, I have driven practically every car you can name, and have experience with RWD cars from my parents.

What I am looking at is what you guys recommend for me. The 2004 GT isnt going to be as fast as my current Audi, but thats ok, the price and potential makes up for that. What is the accepted hp that the stock 04 GT block can withhold without a build? What does the car dyno stock? I will guess about 215 hp/ 275tq? What do full bolt ons usually give you? Can I expect 50whp gain without swapping cams? Intake, TB, injectors, Intake manifold, headers, x/h-pipe, exhaust, tune? will this get me 50whp?

I guess I am just asking for you guys to persuade me into getting one. I really want a 2004 GTO, and still might if I max out my 18k, but I dont want to. The 04 GT is the cheapest way I can get a car that I like, and the GTO/MKV GTI is the most expensive.

Thanks for your replies in advance, I will be searching this site now, so go easy on me.

• Sponsors (?)

short answers:

you can get to close to 270rwhp WITHOUT cams if you do every bolt-on available and a decent tune

the stock block will hold a little over 400rwhp before the connecting rods decide to give up. forged internals and it's over 900rwhp

and i know this is a mustang site and you're asking about mustangs but the GTO is a NICE car in my opinion. make sure you drive both before making a decision

if you go mustang.. start with a higher platform (4v).. you wolnt regret it, and wolnt need to stress yourself over modding either, to have a fast car. i do tho, love my 02 GT.. it has its dull moments, when little things go wrong or annoy me.. but when the sun comes out, i clean her up and turn the key.. everything is worth it again. id say go for it, the deals on the 04's these days are crazy cause of the bigger and better.

You should be able to find a Mach 1 in the 18K price range. That will give you the extra 50HP you're looking for before doing any bolt-ons.

:stupid: Don't even bother with the GT if you can blow $18K. Get a Mach. You'll start out at 280RWHP with the 5 speed. Catback, midpipe, CAI, headers, and a tune and you'll be at 310-315RWHP, and you'll eat an '04 GTO easily.

What kind of mileage would I need to get a Mach for around 18k? I love them, but ruled them out because of the price. I was also thinking of a 1999/2001 Cobra still might, but ruled them out because of their age.

What is 4v? Is it Mach and Cobra engines?

So I am watching Season 3 of 24 and the 6th episode, Jack Bauer is running from CTU and he and a hostage get into a Blue Mach 1 Mustang!

I think its a sign!!

What kind of mileage would I need to get a Mach for around 18k? I love them, but ruled them out because of the price. I was also thinking of a 1999/2001 Cobra still might, but ruled them out because of their age.

What is 4v? Is it Mach and Cobra engines?

4v means that the machs and cobras have 4 valves per cylinder, GTs only have 2v.

:stupid: Don't even bother with the GT if you can blow $18K. Get a Mach. You'll start out at 280RWHP with the 5 speed. Catback, midpipe, CAI, headers, and a tune and you'll be at 310-315RWHP, and you'll eat an '04 GTO easily.

:lol: erroneous

Stock for stock, it's a driver's race. Modded Mach 1 vs stock GTO, I wouldn't go as far to say "easily". If that GTO is modded, it's trouble.

I have a 2006(B7) A4 2.0T Quattro 6 speed sedan with GIAC 93 Flash. It should be good for a 13.9-14.4 1/4 pass depeding on the driver. My dad used to have a 2001(B5) stage 2 S4 6 speed, I would guess about a 13.2ish 1/4, now has a 2005 S4 6 speed with non resonated AWE exhaust, which is about a 13.6ish 1/4.

Also, I wont pay 18k for a 40k mile Mach 1 when I can get 20k mile LS1 GTO for 18k. I like the Mach, but not for the price they are fetching, mostly due to bad resale on GTO, not high Mach prices.

And I agree, a stock Mach and LS1 GTO should be even, with the LS2 winning handily. LS1 puts about 285ish whp and LS2 puts about 315ish whp.

I dont want to turn this into a GTO vs Mustang thing, I have my opinion and it wont sway. I like the GTO better because of their price, but the Mach is a great car. Styling is a draw, I dont think either look awesome, but both look good. Both sound great, interior is hands down GTO, interior room is GTO, power is GTO, Price is GTO ect. This is my opinion. As for the GT, I can get a car that sounds good, fun to drive, decent power stock, lots of potential, cheaper to mod than my current car and looks good too for a great price of about 15k for a car with under 20k miles.

The other cars I am looking at are a 2002-2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro manual, 2006 VW GTI manual, and maybe a WRX wagon, maybe. But with the prices of these 04 GTs, its hard to pass them up.

I have a 2006(B7) A4 2.0T Quattro 6 speed sedan with GIAC 93 Flash. It should be good for a 13.9-14.4 1/4 pass depeding on the driver. My dad used to have a 2001(B5) stage 2 S4 6 speed, I would guess about a 13.2ish 1/4, now has a 2005 S4 6 speed with non resonated AWE exhaust, which is about a 13.6ish 1/4.

That's a stock GT time

Also, I wont pay 18k for a 40k mile Mach 1 when I can get 20k mile LS1 GTO for 18k. I like the Mach, but not for the price they are fetching, mostly due to bad resale on GTO, not high Mach prices.

You would be better off getting the LS2 GTO, even if you had to pay extra for it

I dont want to turn this into a GTO vs Mustang thing
It doesn't matter, this site isn't that bias :)

The other cars I am looking at are a 2002-2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro manual, 2006 VW GTI manual, and maybe a WRX wagon, maybe. But with the prices of these 04 GTs, its hard to pass them up.
So true, and all the cars should hold the same reliability, but when it comes down to it, the mustang motor doesn't need to change any timing componets in 60K mi

buy an 04 GT spend 4k on a centri s/c and you will have close to 400 rwhp.
you dont need 4V to be fast. my buddy is putt5ing down 445/467 with his KB GT. i've got 375/385 with my Paxton s/c GT. and my other buddy is putting down 388/372 with his 05 GTO.

i'm with you on the interior of the GTO. i drove his on monday to get it tuned and it was WAY better than my interior. the ride was better also, but his car looks too plain to me. its kinda like an overgrown cavalier, just nicer and way more expensive

I just killed a Audi TT down at the track this past weekend. Must have been new, still had the 30 day tags on it.

I will say that I have had the opportunity to drive several "luxury" cars that have been traded in at my dealer. The favorite of mine being a 2006 BMW 3 series. Almost all of them ride smoother, have smoother steering, quieter interiors, and the fit and finish are excellent.

My 00' GT has 96k miles on it. Rides good, but its not cushy even on the stock suspension. But what I can say that I love most about my mustang is its easier to feel in tune with the car. There isnt a whole lot that separates the driver from the car on a mustang. Cable throttle, cable clutch, not a lot of noise insulation, etc. I like the raw feel of a mustang. Fun to drive, cheap to mod and for the most part, cheap to fix and maintain.

What stock dyno numbers does the 04 GT put down? I searched, but it seems a stock GT is hard to come by on this site. lol. Also, what does that translate into 1/4 mile times. I was always under the impression that 5 speed GTs are in the mid to high 14s with factory freaks dipping into the low 14s. Am I wrong?

I am not going to get a 4V. The Mach 1 is too expensive with low miles and I want a car as new as possible. I am fine with 2Vs and the potential for up to 400 reliable hp.

Also, bringing up that the GT engine doesnt require timing belt services is an excellent point. Are there any big services these cars require? I know the TB on a 2002 A4 is about a 1k job and required at around 75k.

The GTO is a great car, and so is the Mach. I would be lucky to own either.

Also, the GTO forum is usually very slow, this board seems to be very active.

You can grab mach's in the 16k range with 35k miles....18k will get you a mach with about 20k. I know I love my mach...and it eats GTO's...last GTO I saw run at the track was consistent 13.7's.

Get a mach and love the shaker! nothing else will matter