I could hook up a neutral safety switch... should I?

scouttrooper

May 6, 2006
Hi guys. I have a 65 that used to have a C4 in it. I also had an aftermarket harness under the dash. The new connectors for the safety switch were not OEM type, so they didn't connect with the switch leads easily. At the time, I bypassed the switch so the starter could be engaged without regard to the transmission shift position. I now have a T5z from Ford Racing and am wondering if I need to go to the trouble of replacing the newer connectors so that I can use the integral switch. It's kind of difficult to reach. Would you guys bother to hook up the neutral safety switch, or should I forget about it?

Merry Christmas all...

• Sponsors (?)

For pretty good reason, although you have some warning (little) that the vehicle is in gear, it can still start and it goes. I was leaning in an engine compartment once when I went to just crank the engine over. I thought the vehicle was in neutral. The car got half way thru the garage door before I could react and get it shut off.

The problem I have found with neutral safety switches in modern cars with standards is when you have to get the car off the road with a dead motor. In older cars you could just put the car in first gear and drive the car off the road by cranking the starter. Basically an electric car. With the safety switches in todays cars you have to risk getting out in traffic and pushing. Of course todays cars don't break down as often, but they still run out of gas occasionally.