I dont know whats wrong...

Back into a weird situation with my 1987 5.0 LX. I was driving to fill up on gas (I specifically have my vehicle on E85). I filled up and she started right up and nothing was out of the ordinary. The tuner was reading fine also. As I was driving home I hit a red light. Once green I started to drive and shifted from first to second. I could hear the car accelarating then just quiet motor died. All electrical components still worked my music was playing. The engine itself just stopped as if it wasnt igniting anymore. I pulled over and tried to start my car again and it tried to turn over but would not start. I popped the hood nothing looked wrong or unplugged or worn or anything crazy after burning myself looking around I got pissed off got back in tried starting it and it started back up as if nothing had happened no crazy noises no trouble starting again it just started right back up. (I have been having a recent issue with a fusible link connecting to the fuel pump relay, it sometimes doesnt work so the fuel pump wont work. However I could hear my fuel pump working when the engine died and I tried to start it up and got no luck). maybe bad spark plugs, coil, distributor? I wanted some ideas before I dove in taking stuff apart and buying new crap that dont need fixing.

• Sponsors (?)

If you're running e85, ( I first have to ask if you're running a combo that warrants the need for the fuel?) I'm assuming you changed everything to allow it to work. Different pump, bigger injectors, different fpr? If you didn't, What did you do to inhibit the corrosion that's happening to everything?
" tuning" the stock injectors to pass the additional fuel required would be a recipe for a duty cycle malfunction, and I don't think the stock O2 sensors like that stuff particularly either.
Unless you are running a real high CR, or a forced induction system with big boost numbers...E85 is the problem, or a large part of it.

I do have everything set up to run E85, bigger injectors, fuel pump, etc. I do also have a 70mm turbo and I'm pulling 18lbs of boost. I have a megasquirt tuner and the vehicle is tuned to the E85 set up. (Done at a shop so it would be done correctly)

Reactions: 1 users
Can you take a datalog of it happening ? Several of us ( including me ) have megasquirt and megalogviewer. A91what may be able to chime in. I'm no expert by any means at all. Steve does the smart work....I ...do the dirty work.

Mine died like that and would restart, turned out to be the pip sensor so i replaced the dist. Now you got a lot more going on than me so take that with a grain of salt