I finally got it as clean as I could! Pics!

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
So, after not owning my car for about three years, I bought it back. I have spent the last month getting some mechanical issues sorted out. This weekend I finally had the chance to give the car its first clay bar and wax. I must say that it looks a lot better than it did before the treatment.

It is starting to become my car again. It isn't perfect, but it is what I can deal with right now. One day in a few years I will get the scratches and dents out of the driver's rear quarter and redo the Laser Red paint. It almost looks tangerine orange in these pics.

Let me know what you think.

BEFORE:
0804090732.jpg

AFTER:
sn851164.jpg

sn851168.jpg

sn851163.jpg

sn851170.jpg

sn851172.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I bought the car in April of 2003 to "upgrade" from my Mazda 626. I was 19 years old. I started doing some modifying the car a few months later and ended up doing a PI headswap around October 2003. I left the country for two years in December 2003 and got back in December 2005. When I got back, gas was around four dollars a gallon, and I thought that I was focusing too much on the car, so I put it up for sale. Sadly, and regrettably, it sold. That was in May 2006. The guy who bought the car lived about 50 miles north of me, in a city I didn't even know existed.

I started dating a girl that lived about 40 miles north, and we would occasionally pass through the city where the guy lives. The first time we went on this route, I saw the car. I knew it was mine. So, over the next few years, I kept seeing the car every few months. I married that same girl, and so I would probably end up seeing the car as long as this guy owned it.

One day, my wife, her sister, and her cousin were driving along that same road and there was a "For Sale" sign in the car. I had always wanted it back, but never really thought about buying it back. We talked about it and figured we could "afford" it. So, I bought it, and got it back.

There have been a few issues with it, but I am still glad to have it back. (Check my previous threads for info on those issues) I plan on maintaining the car as well as I can for the next three or fours years, driving it as little as I can. When I get my MS/BS degree and get a little fun money in my pocket, I would like to start "restoring" it as much as I can. Paint would be nice, as well as a new engine, transmission, and try and make it as "new" as I can.

clean that gas tank cover and it will look 10x better

Funny you should mention that. I just told my wife the same thing :)

"mazen189: i say a nice drop is due."

It has a nice drop, I think. Any lower I am not sure what I would do I have the Mach1 shocks and springs on there.

I am 6'9" and I have a hard enough time getting in and out :)

hey man.....I'm happy you got your car back. I've contemplated selling mine a few times and know if I did I'd be in the situation you were with wanting it back. My car is the first car I bought new when a teenager. Alot of "firsts" with it. :) I will be buried in this car I think

few things if you dont mind that i could point out that will clean the car up.

headlights- take 1500 grit and wet sand for five mintues then do 2000 for five minutes and then high speed buff with compound and then wax them .. do the fog lights as well only start with a 1000 grit and work your way up. Under the bumper i would under coat the gas tank and the straps it will clean it up alot .. thats just what i think will help you out.. other wise it looks real good

Looks great! I tried the claybar thing few years ago but what works for me is color sanding the entire car. I color sanded and buffed my 96 GT and repainted the front and rear bumper covers and side skirts due to some peeling clear.

Headlight restoration is easy too. 1500, 2000 grit and some rubbing compound of your choice.