I have a few questions about my ‘90 fox

I have a 1990 foxbody that I got handed down to me and it’s been sitting for over 10 years and I need help. I’m going to drain all the fluids out of the car first and my first question is to drain the gas can I just funnel it out or do I have to drop the tank and drain it out that way.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

'funnel it out' don't know what that means. Really, all you gotta do is pull the schrader valve out, attach an hose to the nipple and jump the test port. As long as you have a good battery and the fuel pump works, that's the easiest way I know.
I'm not the brightest bulb in the room and I'm guessing someone knows another way.
After 10 years there may not be any fuel left in there.

Siphon?
If you do not want to run the old gas through the stock pump and filter, siphoning is the other way. How strong of varnish does the fuel smell? If it’s really rotten and there is not a lot, I’d siphon it and drop the tank for an inspection and flush. I would not drop a tank more than 1/4 full by myself again. Gas is heavy by the gallon.
If the fuel is just stale, using the Schrader valve and using the in tank fuel pump would be a test of the pump.

(Edited for auto incorrect)

Last edited:
  • Useful
Siphon?
If you do not want to run the old gas through the stock pump and filter, siphoning is the other way. How strong of varnish does the fuel smell? If it’s really rotten and there is not a lot, I’d siphon it and drop the tank for an inspection and flush. I would not drop a tank more than 1/4 full by myself again. Gas is heavy by the gallon.
If the fuel is just stale, using the Schrader valve and using the in tank fuel pump would be a test of the pump.

(Edited for auto incorrect)
Yeah I have not smelt the gas yet but I have a uncle that has been working on his fox for awhile but just doesn’t know if there is something blocking it to where we could Siphon the gas out if so I’ll drop the tank or if I could just stick a hose down into the tank and pump it out

'funnel it out' don't know what that means. Really, all you gotta do is pull the schrader valve out, attach an hose to the nipple and jump the test port. As long as you have a good battery and the fuel pump works, that's the easiest way I know.
I'm not the brightest bulb in the room and I'm guessing someone knows another way.
After 10 years there may not be any fuel left in there.
The car doesn’t run and needs a new battery so I don’t know if there’s a way I can check if it has any gas in it but my real question is if there is something blocking me from sticking a hose from where you pump gas into or if there’s is not and I can just put a hose down in it and pump and siphon it out

I suggest you drop the tank and check it out. I speak from experience.
20210605_130714.jpg

Drop the tank. It sounds like a real pain, but it's actually not.
Handful of bolts. May want to pre purchase new J nuts and bolts from LMR first for the straps.
If it's full letting it down may be a little tricky, but it will go back up easy empty.
If you plan to modify the car i'd change the pump while you are in there. NA a 155lph pump will do and shouldn't cost more than $75. New seals wouldn't hurt either, the fill tube seal is almost certainly shot.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Throw together a fuel tank cradle. Dirt cheap, easy to build and allows one person to remove or install a Mustang tank even if it's full of fuel!

P7040003.jpg

P7040005.jpg

P7040004.jpg

P7040006.jpg

P7040008.jpg

P7010002.jpg

P7010001.jpg
Evintho,
This is an amazing design. I've been thinking of making something like this for years, but wasn't sure how to stop the tank from wobbling on the jack. I though of collapsible legs. This is much better.
Art

Last edited:
Ya know, my first thought was, you're probably going to replace the fuel filter , so just dis connect the fuel line there, hit the key and let the pump do the rest. The few drops of junk gas left will be more than diluted enough when you fill the tank...
Then as I scrolled down the page, I saw the pic of the sludged up tank. and then I thought, Hmmm,,, 10 years ya say.... Maybe it is best to drop it and just check things out. Better safe than sorry! Save the above approach for something 5 years or less.
Ya know, here's the thing, 10 years is a very long time to park a car. Maybe things are ok, but then again, there is a chance that they're not. It's like the commercial with Tracy Morgan, "I'm pretty sure vs knowing for sure". With my luck, if took the gamble I'd loose.

Last edited: