I have a very different type of misfire

BlueChappy570

Jul 22, 2020
Port St. Lucie
So not that long ago, I ran the tank almost empty. I did not run out of fuel but I was with 6 miles. I have a 2005 Mustang GT and it’s slightly modified, so 6 miles is probably closer to 2-3 miles.

Anyway, since that day, I’ve been having a horrible stutter on acceleration. It does happen at lower RPM’s, and slightly on straightaways, but really is accentuated after making a turn.

I did what I thought it was. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the fuel injectors. They are all brand new, and the car is still stuttering especially around corners.My coil packs are less than a year old and I changed the plugs at that time as well.

I’m thinking it’s a fouled plug. But are there any other ideas what might be causing this? I don’t want to keep sinking money into things I don’t need. It would be easy if there were an engine light to get coffees from, but no light is present.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors(?)

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
Sorry to hear. Good idea, throwing money at it will only make the root cause more difficult to locate. This may be related, or coincidence & unrelated. Don’t focus on only that.
A piece of crud that broke free may be inside the fuel line, e.g. sensitive on corners.
Have a decent Scantool that allows live Data viewing, drive cycles, etc?
Fuel pressure at the rail?
1) Connect and look for Codes-regardless, they don’t always throw a light.
2) Pulling plugs is a good idea, clean/regap. Add NeverSeize to the threads, install. Use electrical grease on your COP to Plug connections. Note the color of each plug & where it came from.
3) Spray the MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner, clean all the way up to/including the TB.
4) Fill up for fuel at the same spot, or did you change to a non typical spot for this fuel?
Few to start with, gather info.
5) Check engine light ever flash under acceleration?
Best!
-John

BlueChappy570

Jul 22, 2020
Port St. Lucie
John,
Thanks for getting back with me. A Scantool is something I don’t have. I will bring it to AutoZone to see if it kicks a code. I did fill up at the same place. I thought maybe it’s been a bad batch of fuel myself. But I’ve had three tanks of fuel in it since it’s started. The light has never flashed or come on at all...

considering it’s really bad in a turn, do you think it’ll be electrical? Of it were electrical, would it be bad in all situations? Thank you so much for your help.

BlueChappy570

Jul 22, 2020
Port St. Lucie
UPDATE!!!

So, I changed my oil yesterday and cleaned my cold air filter. ALL PROBLEMS ARE GONE. I was low on oil which probably means that I had insufficient oil pressure at low RPM's to operate the VCT system. Not sure why I was low, but I know now to keep an eye on this. We are back on the road!

08GT500

Jul 12, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi,
Very good, happy to hear all is well!
Although it sounds more like air restriction, a typical dirty MAF affecting A/F ratio- when you mentioned “it’s worse on corners”, the oil level swinging away from the oil pickup in the Pan due to a restrictive pickup, leaky pickup connection, or low oil did come to mind.
But we have warning systems for this, why did they not function?
The Oil pickup is between 1/2”-3/4” off the base of the Pan, and Oil is within passages, some in a gravity fall back into the pan, some returning from filtration. The reserve is the excess that remains in the Pan while this is occurring.
I run a simple Mechanical Oil Pressure gauge on every motor I care about, and as a result of a very close call. I encourage others to do the same. They never lie, are inexpensive, require no electricity. An oil pressure transducer/ignition cutout is the ultimate.
IF the Oil level played into this or not, I’m pretty sure you’ll want to find out.
I Am truly happy to hear it’s running well, as that’s now OK, there’s a little more I’d suggest you consider prior to moving on. Where the oil is going will show up within the same simple diagnostic efforts.
The Conundrum...
A Bullet dodged if the oil was as low as described. Generally, an engine has sustained damaged by the time you hear any noise or experience oil pressure low enough to affect performance, almost always starts with noisy hydraulic Valve-train, then main & rod bearings lose pressure.

Delve a bit deeper. For instance..
1) How low was the Oil on the stick before draining?
2) How much Oil drained out into the catch basin when the drain plug was removed? (if you don’t still have it, guess..it was low, but how low....3 Quarts..3 Quarts + Full Filter, etc).
3) How much Oil did you refill with, where does the oil level show up now on the Dipstick?
4) Still have the old Oil Filter?
5) Last Oil change made in Miles back, full Synthetic, Viscosity, Mfg., Filter Mfg.?
6) A Shop do it, or personally performed?
SYSTEMATICS..
A) Why didn’t the oil pressure gauge dip.?
B) The low Oil light did not illuminate.?
C) If VVT was affected, i’d expect a few DTC’s, lash adjusters may not cause any Codes. No Codes, correct?
D) Low Pressure Chime? (Not 100% if 05’s have them). My 08’ does.
General information..
More times than not, the hydraulic lash adjusters will become louder with even “borderline” or erratic oil pressure due to lack of Oil, or barely enough oil to reach the oil pickup, causing aerated (Cavitated) oil which affects pressure.
Lash adjusters are very sensitive to oil pressure levels being low, they carry the Valve spring loads by oil pressure and are the furthest away from the Pump, have very small orfices, and become louder with lower oil pressure, then Valve lift decreases, power loss.
Oil Filters have an anti-drainback Valve (Some Filters do not) and why its crucial that OE Filters or the best aftermarket Filters for the correct engine are used.
The valve prevents complete oil drain back in the blocks upper galleries and drillings, so there’s a little oil sitting in the motor when you shutdown. Startup. Still, 70% of engine wear is a product of cold starts until pressure builds.
Certain engine blocks have these drain-back preventers installed within (which is why some Filters don’t require them).
Pressure drops off from seconds to minutes, but the unpressurized oil should remain. The Oil pump also supports this.
Best!
-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H The "Cobra Clunk"? Looking for some insight for a very different application... SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
J very hot temps,slightly different from others 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
S 02 mustang GT coilovers are very bouncy SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
R Mustang shifting issues, very heavy clutch pedal and very hard to shift SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
S Very high mileage Mustang for sale 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 5
S 01 v6 very dash wiring issue SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 4
A Any help with Microsquirt tuning would be very much appreciated Digital Self-tuning Forum 14
Drum4life23 I have a very interesting situation! 06 mustang won’t start unless I remove fuse HELP! 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
F For Sale 2003 Mustang GT Vert with very low miles (21K)-Well taken care of SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) 1
T Very bad vibration from clutch pedal after hitting a bump 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
J For Sale 1994 Mustang GT Autocross/HPDE setup, very clean, California. SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) 1
DAJ352 Old School 5.0 Very cool stuff from the early days of the movement 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 26
V Suspension 1995 front end very loose 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
markinms Engine Best way to clean a GT40 Intake (very greasy/dirty)? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Nick Bos C4 Transmission has very delayed shifts 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
S newb from so cal. Just bought a very nice black on black 2000 GT The Welcome Wagon 1
J rough idle and very slight miss SVT Tech Forum 2
G For Sale '11 GT, Very low miles, Kona Blue S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) 0
9 Paint and Body [[Very Quick Tutorial]] How to Remove your REAR bumper. SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
J Looking at 94 gt for a possible project. Im very happy to get back in the swing of things finally!!! The Welcome Wagon 3
M Very annoying noise on 2018 GT 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 5
S For Sale Ford OE. 8.8" 3:27 ring & pinion very nice used Other Classifieds 0
E Deep Scratch/very Small Ding Or Dent On Hood? What To Do ? Any Repair Ideas? 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 4
F Auction Bought Cobra - Running Very Poorly SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 14
R Car Stalls And Dies Very Often SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 10
Nutty 5.o SOLD 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 W/5 Speed Hatch Very Nice/clean Dark Titanium In Pa Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) 11
Realbill1976 Very New To Ford 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
little_redfox_91 91 Gt Running Very Rich Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
78mIIman Engine 78 Mustang Ii 302 Factory Mess Up, Very Weird!!! 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 0
N Bad Tps/iac? Bad/semi-erratic Idle, Running Very Rich; Window Motor Won't Connect To Gear 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
cmerk27 Engine Very Strange Coolant Leak (checked All The Basics) And Other Problems SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 21
C Please Help Running Very Hot Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
blackfox91 Very Bad Gas Mileage, But It Has Many Performance Parts. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 11
S After Pi Swap Very Loud Noise 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 16
D Header Pipe Near #6 & #7 Plugs Very Hot, Melting Stuff & Plug 7 Erratic Timing Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
D Emissions Problem - Very High Hc Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 35
lepryy Need Some Help With Turn Signals. Plus A Very Strange Module Found Under My Steering Column. (videos Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
mustangfiveo198 Convertible Top Coming Up Very Slow Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
BKM48198 Very High Idle Only After Warmed Up About 20 Mins.???? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
Edbert Tech Help! Very Rough Idle At Low Rpm...why? - Carb Guys Classic Mustang Specific Tech 9
93lx5.0 SOLD 2007 Shelby Gt500, Red W/black Stripes, $28k, 31k Miles, Very Clean S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) 2
S SOLD 2014 Mustang V6 Perf Pack, Recaros Very Low Miles S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) 0
bennettracing Expired Very Custom 1990 Roadster Project Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) 3
Jair633 Very Confused 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
callys Holley 750 Vacuum Help - Very Rich At Cruise Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
m3x1c0 Overheating Very Quickly Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 143
DonSoares Suspension Rebuilt Front End... Now Very Noisey. What Can I Do? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
J My 89 5.0 Very Build 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 50
D SOLD 1990 Mustang 1993 Cobra Clone Very Nice Car! Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) 4
H Fuel 88 Gt Runs Very Rich + Low Mpg Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9