I need decent pistons for a stock block/crank/rod 306 rebuild.....

Marc2

Founding Member
Jul 4, 2002
Quincy, MA
I've decided on a 306 rebuild for my 85 roller motor with 110K. I'm gonna re-use my stock rods/crank/block, and it will be topped off with AFR 165's, 650 Speed Demon, Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap, and some sort of cam(doin research). Brands i have had my eyes on are TRW, Probe, DSS, and SpeedPro. Any opinions on these brands or ones not listed would be appreciated. All machine work will be done locally.

• Sponsors (?)

Each of those pistons are good options, it may depend on how much you want to spend. I am currently running DSS pistons and have torn the motor down once after a year of racing and they are still in good shape and withstand 17lbs of boost.

Use the Summit Kit if you are going to reuse your rods and crank. They use forged Speed Pro pistons and the kit cost $459. It includes pistons,cam & crank bearings,oil pump,timing chain,and all gaskets. Good deal for the money..

Kelly

Since you'll have heads with 1.90/1.60 valves, you'll really want to make sure whatever cam you get wont cause clearance problems if you use SpeedPros. My Performers are also 1.90/1.60 and my fairly mild Crane cam had about .010" of valve cleance. SpeedPros are meant for stock valve sizes. Just my experience. Next time I'd consider some DSS Prolites since they have reliefs for 2.02 valves.