I need some advice on a Rear Main Seal install.

DoorHinge

Apr 4, 2005
Is there any good how to's on the forum? Couldn't find any. Any tips would be appreciated. Here is a pic of my old one. I'm thinking it is the seal leaking and not the pan what do you think???

47b5da25b3127cce91552fe4915100000016108AYsWTZk4ZNq

• Sponsors (?)

you can use a small screwdriver to work it out. you can use a hammer to push
the screwdriver in between the seal and the block. If you are trying it around
the journal be carefull not to scratch the seal surface on the crank. clean it really good and then spray the new seal with carb cleaner or use a light coat
of lithium grease. this will help when installing the new seal. you can use a large punch or 3/8 drive extension carefully tapping the seal at all the way around working it into the block until its seated all the way around.. :)

Clean that area really well, put a thin coating of oil on the crank.

Put a thin coating of Permatex on the outside of the seal (the side that goes against the block) tap the seal into place, and wip off the Permatex that squeezes out.

Rick 91GT said:
Clean that area really well, put a thin coating of oil on the crank.

Put a thin coating of Permatex on the outside of the seal (the side that goes against the block) tap the seal into place, and wip off the Permatex that squeezes out.

When I did mine, I used a teflon seal from Napa and did the permatex thing. The only thing you have to remember is with teflon, you install the seal DRY...meaning without any grease or anything. The inner lip on the teflon seal is bigger and you have to work it a little to get it to go over the end of the shaft. Also, if your shaft is scarred up, install a repair sleave first. I don't think mine leaks a drop...been in a month or so.