I Think I Have A Maf Issue

pure luck

May 17, 2016
Hello, I'm new to this forum but I have a problem/question that I hope can be resolved. First off, a little info on the Fox I'm dealing with. It's a '91 GT vert AOD with the valve body modified and a ratchet shifter with 373 rear. The engine is a stock block with AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock performer intake that has been ported to the heads, upper to lower, and cleaned out. I have an acufab 70mm throttle body with the 2" EGR delete spacer. It has a BBK in fender cold air intake. I have an e303 cam "I know, not ideal, but it's what I had lying around" and it has 24lb new style injectors and the BBK MAF to match. The problem that I'm having, is the car Idles like crap and RPM hunts. I searched for vacuum leaks "none that I can find" and any other issues. Couldn't find anything. SO I decided to put a C&L MAF set up for 19lb injectors, and the car runs great. I swapped them back and forth a few times, and it runs like crap with the BBK every time. All of these parts are brand new by the way except the C&L MAF. I called American Muscle "where I bought the MAF from" and he told me it's my car not the MAF. He said that I need to buy the Bama tuner to resolve this issue. I though the purpose of buying the 24lb MAF was to make the 24lb injectors to work. What exactly does the tuner do? I've built 4 fox's and I've never messed with the computer nor had an issue. My 91 347 had the stock computer on it until I carb'd it. All I did was get a bigger MAF to match the injectors. Am I wrong thinking that the MAF is bad? The AM guy said that because nothing is really stock on the car except the computer, I need to get the Bama tuner to make everything work. Makes no sense to me, why would my smaller "by 3mm" C&L MAF designed for 19lb injectors work, and this one doesn't? Bottom line, do I need to buy the Bama tuner with their canned tunes? Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm just really pissed right now. This car has been a giant headache!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome..... So your car runs better with a mismatched MAF for 19# and 24# injectors than with the BBK MAF for 24# injectors? Running the MAF for 19# injectors is not the answer. What color are the tops of the injectors- blue or yellow. The MAF may not be for a fenderwell CAI and that could be what is causing the problem. You may get away with clocking the BBK MAF so the air flow and signal are better..

As far as a Bama tune........:doh: I like AM and have bought a LOT of parts from them, but I would rather burn my car to the ground than install a Bama chip in my car. AOD cars do need a tune normally when you do an H/C/I vs a stick due to the difference in the EEC, especially with that E cam and the 110 LSA and lower vacuum. You are much better off with a TFS1 or N41 cam. For a chip, I would recommend finding a local tuner or if you can't then JMS or willy at dirty racing.

That being said, the first thing to do is run the codes and report back what you find.

Reactions: 1 user
Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL(Check Engine Light) isn’t on. I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. Do this with the larger MAF and injectors that you have.
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Yes, the car runs better with the MAF set up for 19# injectors when I have the 24# injectors installed. I hooked my scanner to the car and all that I get are EGR codes, and my EGR is deleted, I'll do it again tonight and see if anything changed. The MAF is set up for the in fender CAI according to AM. I agree on the cam, but I already had a brand new e303 sitting on the shelf so I threw it in. Thanks for the replies, I'll get back later with the new codes if any. I'm not driving the car, it's sitting in the garage.

With the Almighty B cam installed, the car should tune itself.
That's what I was thinking, the b cam is sent from the gods, so I don't know why it's not allowing my car to run properly. Maybe the gods are mad at me. I'm getting one custom cut as I type. I'm going to hang the b cam on the wall of my garage to overlook my mustangs and keep them safe!

Reactions: 1 user