I think I'm switching over to the 4.6 crowd...

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Well, I hate to say it, but I think my time behind a 5.0 is coming to a close. My car's body is so rotted, it isn't worth the money to fix it up. My motor has 150k on the bottom end, and is starting to burn oil like the iraqi army on the run, and everything else on her is getting tired. I think once I graduate from nursing school next month, I'm going to get my hands on a nice 99-04 GT and start again. I'll be able to use my new 18"s from an '06 GT, my gauges, my springs, and the rest of my suspension stuff, and hopefully my 3.73s in my rear end. The rest, like my cervini's kit and top end of the motor, I'll part out. I guess it's a whole new world of learning, seeing as I've got the 5.0 stuff down pretty good. I just like the modern ammenities of the new edge, the ability to use bigger wheels without fender clearance, and the other advantages to a newer car. I'm an autocrosser, so the wider track is nice too. I feel like half of my recent mods, like a 5 lug swap with rear disc, an electric fan, and others are all just bringing in stuff I'd get with a new car anyway, and it'd be factory equipment and not something I have to customize to the car. Maybe one day I'll find a nice fox and go back at it, but I think for now a modular is gonna be in my future. Bring on the flaming lol....but I will miss my old pushrod power...:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I hate to say it, but I think my time behind a 5.0 is coming to a close. My car's body is so rotted, it isn't worth the money to fix it up. My motor has 150k on the bottom end, and is starting to burn oil like the iraqi army on the run, and everything else on her is getting tired. I think once I graduate from nursing school next month, I'm going to get my hands on a nice 99-04 GT and start again. I'll be able to use my new 18"s from an '06 GT, my gauges, my springs, and the rest of my suspension stuff, and hopefully my 3.73s in my rear end. The rest, like my cervini's kit and top end of the motor, I'll part out. I guess it's a whole new world of learning, seeing as I've got the 5.0 stuff down pretty good. I just like the modern ammenities of the new edge, the ability to use bigger wheels without fender clearance, and the other advantages to a newer car. I'm an autocrosser, so the wider track is nice too. I feel like half of my recent mods, like a 5 lug swap with rear disc, an electric fan, and others are all just bringing in stuff I'd get with a new car anyway, and it'd be factory equipment and not something I have to customize to the car. Maybe one day I'll find a nice fox and go back at it, but I think for now a modular is gonna be in my future. Bring on the flaming lol....but I will miss my old pushrod power...:shrug:

No flaming here.... I've had both at the same time and they are both great... but like you said, there gets to a point where you look at the car you are in and it doesn't make sense to keep pouring $$$ into it... especially if the body is rotting... I had a lot of fun in my 2001 Vert Gt, and I would actually like anotherone... but I've had my 5.0 since 98 and I don't think I could get rid of it... and like you said you may down the road pick up another one... god knows they are cheap enough.... the 5.0 sound will bring you back :) I driven all sorts of cars and still although it's not the fastest thing out there my 91 has been the most fun to drive... good luck with what ever you pick up.... I really don't think I have a point to my post so I'll end with one....... do what's right for you....yeah ...that's it!

Like you said, Your buying a car that has the 5 lug and 4 wheel disc brakes and all that so you dont have to modify it. I personally think thats my favorite part of a fox. Totally redoing it to make it a one of a kind awesome stang. I'm not a fan of buying something built, although it is nice. I would just prefer to build it myself and have fun doing it. Its worth the extra money.

Dude my wife just graduated last may for nursing and all I have to say is F the GT and go for the 03-04 cobra trust me im debating on selling my F250 and getn another bronco and a Triple Black 04 cobra. So start looking now trust me you can afford it there's tons of overtime in that job.

later

4.6s sound soo much better too. I say why not start with a better base. Its not that you dont get to mod it, its that you get to add better stuff then you would on the fox. I "upgraded" to stock 94-95 GT brakes, you buy a 99+ and you can "upgrade" to some crazy 14" brakes if you like... The upgrading you do will cost more but will create a better car in the end.

I debated getting a 4.6 car, but have way too much into my fox to do that!

Well, I really can't afford a Cobra or Mach, as much as I'd love one. I'm still in poor college kid mode, and I'll be lucky to get financing for a new car at all. I'm actually going to look at a really clean 04 shadow grey coupe on Friday. I have some BBK progressive springs, some slotted/cross drilled rotors, and some Gas-A-Just shocks and struts, along with my 18" polished bullits from an 06 GT that will swap over to the new car to start it off, along with my full compliment of Autometer gauges and tach. I'll get a Mach1 chin spoiler for a little outside lookie-lookie, and as money builds up, start knocking off the bolt-on list of goodies. I'll sell my stuff from the 87, like the stalker bumper, cobra R hood, cobra rear bumper, and saleen wing, along with my aluminum driveshaft, my 5lug swap parts, and I'll break down the motor and sell the parts. I have an Explorer intake, E303 Cam, hardened pushrods, 1.7 FRPP rockers, GT40P heads with a 190/160 valve job, MSD 6AL, MSD blaster coil, CAI, 70mmTB, 75mm chrome granatelli MAF for 19s, 20k mile FRPP lifters, GT40P headers, MAC offroad pro-chamber, MAC flowpath catback, etc... I think by the time I get done parting the old GT out, as much as it'll be a heartbreaker, I could get some decent money to put toward the new car and a few goodies. Down the road, I'm sure I'll end up with some crazy ass combination that'll make the 4.6 go as hellishly badass as my 5.0 does, but for now, I think it's back to the new and improved drawing board.

Just for another two months, and the money I could get parting out the fox would easily cover the first few payments and other such things. Also, I have a question. My 8.8 has 3.73s in it, and is already converted to 5lug with axles from a 95V6, same with the brakes. Will that rear end bolt up to an '04? I'd love to have that rear under the car with the gears over the stocker. I think all the 8.8s were the same, but I could be wrong...

Well, I took an '04 40th GT in shadow grey out for a ride today, and to make a long story short, they're working out the financing now. It was so clean, so nice, and ran so smooth. I hope I'm able to bring her home and start tweaking. It still breaks my heart to think about tearing apart my GT, but I know that's how I'll get the most money for it.

I remember in 96 when Ford first started the whole 4.6 phase. I didn't like it because they didn't seem like they were producing enough power. But over the years those little 4.6's have put down some amazing numbers straight from the factory. I say go for it. But I do recommend get a Cobra or Mach1 just like other subscribers. Either way it goes good luck with it. The only thing I don't like is the exhaust tone. Nothing beats a 5.0 when it comes to exhaust sound.