I want to get a new mid-pipe, X or H, need people with experience

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I want to get a new catted H or X pipe. The only thing is that when I was reading some of the reviews on :SNSign: I came across that some mid-pipes hang lower than stock hence sometimes the cats or the pipe itself will scrape over speed bumps.

Is this true for all aftermarket mid-pipes? I prefer an H pipe because I don't like X's raspiness. But the only companies who I saw that makes aftermarket catted H pipes are MAC and MRT. Are there any other brands that make catted 2.5" mid-pipes that don't hang lower/or will scrape across speed bumps?

• Sponsors (?)

The MRT uses the same cats as the Magnaflow Catted X. They are flatter than some other brands so that will help in ground clearance.

My Son had the Magnaflow Catted X on his GT and went to an off-road X so I inherited the Magnaflow. :D Although I really wanted the sound of the MRT Catted H-pipe I couldn't pass up the cost of the X-pipe.

So far I haven't scrapped with it and I have the MRT race springs installed on the Mach1. One thing I did do though is put upward pressure on the X-pipe at the joint of the Catback before torquing down the bolts at that joint so it gave a little more added to the ground clearance. :shrug:

hotrodnut said:
The MRT uses the same cats as the Magnaflow Catted X. They are flatter than some other brands so that will help in ground clearance.

My Son had the Magnaflow Catted X on his GT and went to an off-road X so I inherited the Magnaflow. :D Although I really wanted the sound of the MRT Catted H-pipe I couldn't pass up the cost of the X-pipe.

So far I haven't scrapped with it and I have the MRT race springs installed on the Mach1. One thing I did do though is put upward pressure on the X-pipe at the joint of the Catback before torquing down the bolts at that joint so it gave a little more added to the ground clearance. :shrug:

I did see what you are talking about in terms of the cats being a little flatter on the MRT pipe. Looks like I'll have to go with this setup, though MRT charges a heck of a lot of money for their pipe, about a little over $100 more than a catted X.

I just had the bassani x-pipe and mid-length headers installed and they sound GREAT!I do have to be carefull with speed bumps and driveways though.The sound at WOT is amazing and they also add a little HP which is a plus.

I would just get the dr. gas x-pipe if you are a 5-speed. If the car scrapes have the pipe modified a bit.

the crossove is closer to the collector and not as raspy sounding.

x-pipe has better scavanging than an h-pipe.

there is no reason to buy and expensive stainless midepipe if you already have alumized catback. cats go bad anyway you might as well just buy a more economical solution IMO.

saleen556 said:
I just had the bassani x-pipe and mid-length headers installed and they sound GREAT!I do have to be carefull with speed bumps and driveways though.The sound at WOT is amazing and they also add a little HP which is a plus.
Which catback do you have?

jasonh_86 said:
I've got an o/r prochamber and I scrape on stuff quite a bit.. but only when i'm not paying attention :D

I'd go prochamber, but then again i'm biased

any problems fitting the mac prochamber? i usually hear negative stuff about mac, how they leak or how cheap quality they are. is that true?

I've never had any problems with it. I've removed it once and still don't have a leak.

The guy who had the car before me said when he put it on, there were NO leaks at all. But after he had to take it to an exhaust shop for mufflers, they messed something up with it and had to get it fixed. But as for straight outta the box, no problems at all :nice:

jasonh_86 said:
I've never had any problems with it. I've removed it once and still don't have a leak.

The guy who had the car before me said when he put it on, there were NO leaks at all. But after he had to take it to an exhaust shop for mufflers, they messed something up with it and had to get it fixed. But as for straight outta the box, no problems at all :nice:

are u scraping the pro-chamber at all? are u lowered in any way?