idle at 2000 rpm or higher

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
ok, I had the problem for a while and just started working on other things till now, Ok heres the problem when i start my car it shoots up to 2000 rpm or higher, I looked for vacume leaks but could not find anything, I ran it with and without the fuel regulator and no change. I tried moving the the dizzy and aside from running crappy and backfiring no change, so i put it back, I set the screws 1 1/2 turns out and it did'nt help, when i turn if off i hear a faint wistle if that matters any, thanks

car is a 85
edle 289 intake
edle carb "not sure what kind"
procomp hei ignition

• Sponsors (?)

yeah i read over the list and only one thing came even close to something i could check, some of the guys at foureyedpride are helping me out, but I'll take all the help i can get, i wish i knew someone who worked on cars, i'm the guy everyone i know goes to and I come to stangnet and foureyedpride....and saturnfans when needed...:)

It says that way, I pulled it outside to work on it cuz it was nice out, and with it in gear and me pushing the brakes all the way down it idled at 750ish but way ruff...way. I'm gonna try to adjust the fast idle tommorow, i tried to adjust the timing and I'm pritty sure it's dead on, and even then the idle does not change much till the timing is so far off it's unwilling to start or rev, I thought it might be the fuel pressure but adding the regulator did'nt change a thing, the idel screw is backed off to the point it don't touch and i just foudn the fast idle tonight "new to carbs"

lol yea, it took me awhile to get used to the edelbrocks. holleys are even worse if you dont know anything about them. you might want to check your choke adjustment if its an auto choke. that will cause high idle and will run rich if its adjusted to far. cant remember which way to turn it, you loosen i think 2 or 3 screws on the black housing just enough to turn the cap. should say on there which way to go.

Ok, I whent out and backed the fast idle"the screw on the underside of the linkage on the driver's side, and it did not change a thing, I turned the bolt all the way in on the regulator"holley of somekind" and still no change, the only thing i've been able to find is

1. if i push the choke plate all the way in by hand the rmp's drop for a bit then it dies "thus it chokes it out"
2. I still hear the slight whistle when I kill it
3. If i turn the fuel pump off"it's on a togle" it'll run at 2000 rpm and it'll drop to 1100 for about 10 seconds then die, if i try to rev it during this 10 seconds it dies
4. it's pissing me off

As mentioned, have you check'd the choke fast idle cam to make sure it's not stuck? I used to run an Edelbrock 600 manual choke...can't say as I ever had that problem though...I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with that...

Ok, i'm not sure if were thinking the same thing when you say fast idle cam, a pic would help alot, I took the electric choke housing off and everything moves fine, and if start it and move the choke by hand it does not change the way it runs at all, thanks for the help so far guys

Ok, i whent and got a cheap-o fuel pressure guage from autozone and i'm at about 4-5psi I think i could up it if I made the return smaller, and this is without the regulator, so I'm thinking it's a vac leak, what is a good safe way to check for vac leaks? thanks

Ok, i whent and got a cheap-o fuel pressure guage from autozone and i'm at about 4-5psi I think i could up it if I made the return smaller, and this is without the regulator, so I'm thinking it's a vac leak, what is a good safe way to check for vac leaks? thanks

spray carb cleaner around, but not directly into the barrels ofcourse.

it'll make the rpms rise if it gets sucked in, use the red hose to direct the spray to help narrow down the point of the vaccum leak.

I tightened the intake and carb, did a better job of wiring the choke, and took the throttle linkage off, and it idles at around 750ish, i gotta reset the idle, a/f screws and the fast idle