Idle issue when hot

Csheets88

Apr 22, 2024
Hello everybody. I have an issue I can't figure out. I have an 89 foxbody with edelbrock heads. F303 cam. Cobra intake. Shorty headers. It'll crank and drive fine. After about 20 minutes of driving and sitting at red-light it will seem like something kicks on and the idle gets super rough. Doesn't seem to affect during driving though, but it will idle bad enough to where it will sometimes die.

• Sponsors (?)

Intake air temperature sensor. Seems like it may be your issue....or the coolant temperature sensor. Not the one that looks like a little stud but either the one in the coolant bypass pipe or the one that screws in the intake under the upper intake on drivers side. If the sensors are disconnected or not working it will make the computer think the car is still cold.

Even if the CEL (check engine light) is not on there can be codes. This is due to only emissions related codes setting the CEL. I would pull codes first then go from there.

Stock fan. I've pulled codes. Nothing outta the ordinary. Smog stuff, it's been deleted. It has new coolant temp sensor, tps, and aic. I've replaced the thing on the side of the dizzy. (Can't think of the name) And a new msd coil. Cap and rotor are msd as well.

Not completely. It has a newer Motorcraft alternator. Oem
With heat and head lights on it will drop it
These are not answers that help, the volts will very according to RPMs normally, need to get familiar with diagnostic tools and terms, beg or borrow a volt/olm meter, read voltage at idle, nothing on, and then with blower, lights and wipers on, then say 1800 RPMs, and battery voltage with engine/key off. I have to write things down cause my memory bank is mostly full of useless crap that takes up too much space.
Also need to monitor fuel pressure to see if/what changes when it starts to act up.
We can point you in the right direction, a good start would be a repair manual or better yet an assembly/repair manual by Ford, ebay has some.
Some helpful info can be found in on the tech main page:
There is some info on the 3g alternator upgrade in there too.

Stock fan. I've pulled codes. Nothing outta the ordinary. Smog stuff, it's been deleted. It has new coolant temp sensor, tps, and aic. I've replaced the thing on the side of the dizzy. (Can't think of the name) And a new msd coil. Cap and rotor are msd as well.
The thingy on the distributor is the TFI. Did you get the proper one for your car/transmission? Auto car takes a different one than standard.