Idle problems with a Trick flow stage 1 cam?

Danny's 94Cobra

Oct 20, 2004
I am completing my rebuild in the next few days the motor is in the car just finishing up some clearance issues with the vc. Here is what I installed: forged dss low comp. pistons .30 over 306, blanced stock crank and rods with arp hardware, main girdle, Twisted wedge track head head with 1.72 scorpion rocker with longer chromemolly puch rods, Trick Flow stage 1 cam, and I am running a vortech S trim with 30# pound injectors a 255 intank pump and a T-rex inline with a Cartech adjustable FMU. ( have 42# with meter ready to go when it is broken in and it is time to tune with a custom chip obiously) My question is will I have idle problems with that combination?
I plan to break in the motor with out a chip because the nereast tuner with a chip is about 4 hours away in San Antonio and would like to break in my motor properly prior to putting on a dyno. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the novel just wanted to give a little insight on my combination for a better understanding. ( The parts list is alot longer) By the way this is on a 94COBRA.

• Sponsors (?)

How does your car feel with the set up?

How does your car feel with your set up? I can't wait to get mine running again its been a few months. Previousley I had everything stock that being the rotating assemly, heads and cam 430hp to the wheels 10-12 psi boost. I really hope this new set up is a big diff. because I spent a lot of money. I was satisfied with my stock set up but I had compresion leaking into my coolant and it would pressurize it. After three sets of headgaskets decided to just rebuild the whole thing and you know how that goes. $$$$ stuff you might as well do.

hopefully we can prevent that now

I know the low comp. pistons might hurt my power a little now that I am going with Dss .30 over 306 low comp, but this time adding 42# inj and a custom tune to try to prevent the head gasket problems. I heard that with higher compression or stock you can get more power than low comp. but you are pushing the combination of boost and compression the the max. Hopefully the low comp. with be a little more safe. At this point safety is an issue if you know what I mean$$$$$$$$$

I must have got pretty lucky with my setup. I installed the stage 1 cam Twisted Wedge Heads, Street Heat intake, a vortech set up for about 8pounds of boost, 42lb injectors, and a pro M mass air calibrated for the 42's. When I got it all together it idled a little rough, but it never stalled out on me, and runs pretty good. I adjusted the idle up a little, and I couldn't be more pleased. I've been driving it for a few weeks, and plan on going to the dyno in a week to get it dialed in.
I have read about a lot of other people that have idle issues before gettinga chip. I think it is pretty hit and miss with how it is going to idle.

Wi Stang said:
I must have got pretty lucky with my setup. I installed the stage 1 cam Twisted Wedge Heads, Street Heat intake, a vortech set up for about 8pounds of boost, 42lb injectors, and a pro M mass air calibrated for the 42's. When I got it all together it idled a little rough, but it never stalled out on me, and runs pretty good. I adjusted the idle up a little, and I couldn't be more pleased. I've been driving it for a few weeks, and plan on going to the dyno in a week to get it dialed in.
I have read about a lot of other people that have idle issues before gettinga chip. I think it is pretty hit and miss with how it is going to idle.
How does your car sound with the came and how does it feel? I am curiuose and cant wait to get it going this weekend.

I love the way it sounds. Its got a little lope to it. Most of the people that hear it just decribe it as sounding mean. So far it feels pretty strong. I haven't been able to get on it all the way since I don't have it tuned yet, but it will roast the tires in first at a little over half throttle, and second pulls pretty good without even getting into the boost. I can hardly wait to get it to the dyno next week so I can dial in the air/fuel, and really see what it has.