Idle surge is driving me crazy

Steve10608

Mar 12, 2019
Texas
I have a 90 notchbach. 5.0 vortech 2 supercharged. An erratic idle surge started that I just cant seem to resolve. Car run great when accelerating. I've replaced the tps and set the voltage at .96v. I checked the timing and advanced it to 13. Motor just doesn't run good at base idle of 10. Checked for exhaust leaks. When I unplug the air monitoring valve surge goes away. Plug in back in and the surge returns. I have a e303 cam and gt40x heads. Thanks in advance for any advise.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 90 notchbach. 5.0 vortech 2 supercharged. An erratic idle surge started that I just cant seem to resolve. Car run great when accelerating. I've replaced the tps and set the voltage at .96v. I checked the timing and advanced it to 13. Motor just doesn't run good at base idle of 10. Checked for exhaust leaks. When I unplug the air monitoring valve surge goes away. Plug in back in and the surge returns. I have a e303 cam and gt40x heads. Thanks in advance for any advise.
I meant checked for vacuum leaks instead of exhaust.

I corrected my idle serge and rich idle problems by cleaning the MAF sensor.It didn't look dirty ,But it had a very slight film on the elements,(almost invisible film).
Removed the sensor from the car. Hit it with Several liberal shots of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner.Let it completely dry for 1/2 hr....Reinstalled ....and problem solved :)
I Sprayed it away from the cars 'paint job'. Also the last couple shots of cleaner were applied following the MAFs airflow direction.
I'm thinking these K&N air filters(that are coated with oil from the factory) is the source of the film on the MAF elements.
Also, except for the "supercharger" I have the same exact set up as you....Just on a different BODY !:)!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 94
Last edited: