If I buy wheel spacers, what else do I need?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
I have heard that I will need shorter studs, or could I just cut them? Or whould that be bad. Im thinking about just getting some off ebay. And what size should i go with for stock tires? 1.25 or 1.5 in.?

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO, you should buy a name brand spacer, like MM, Eibach or other. But if you must go with the cheap stuff, at least make sure you are getting hub centric spacers. There are endless numbers of posts here on the importance of using hub centric spacers.

As far as how wide to go, you should measure. Take a straight edge, put it up against your tire, then measure the distance between your tire and the inner most edge (that is, the closest point to the tire face). That distance will be your maximum spacer. Some people push it even further for the completely flush look. But IMHO that is too far out, plus you risk cutting your tires on the fender.

As far as different sized lugs, that will depend on the size spacer you get, and the design of your wheels. If your wheels have a space where the lug and nut will go, then you will be fine. Mine have that. If your wheels have a continuous surface that sits up against your stock hub, then you could have a problem (especially with 1" spacers).

Go to Maximum Motorsports' web site for more comments on fitting wheel spacers. And while you are there, pick up a set of quality spacers from them.

95Vert said:
RC bought a pair off of ebay and hasn't complained yet. I've also heard of others do the same. I think that a 1" would be good on a 8" wheel with 275 out back. That should come very close to lining them up with the fender.
I Just finished...gonna put some posts up again.

I retorqued them yesterday, and they were already set. Mine are from Ebay, but they ARE Billet 6061. If you get cheap metal, here's what can happen:
The metal may compress over time, not much, but enough to cause the previously tightened lugs to now become lose.

Mine were about $80 shipped.
RC